Mack truck brass radiator top tank

This is really heavy to move! 27 1/2 inches wide by 6 1/4 inches deep. Face at center is 6 1/2 inches, to top of radiator carp 8 1/2 inches (!!)

I bought it from Austin Clark at one of his Iron Range Days at his auto museum in Southampton 40+ years ago.  I do not make a habit of collecting very large, heavy objects but sometimes if they are just so well designed, and incredible they have to follow me home. Wow is this heavy.

This winter I will finally be polishing this to shine once again - maybe, sort of. If I can afford all the metal polish it will take to do so . Gazing at the stuff we collect gives us comfort and makes a dull day better.

MACKshellbrass.jpg

• Like 6

Super neat item Walt.  Mack truck items are real transportation history cornerstones.  I was traveling for work and used to pass a local flea market and one day I had the time in my schedule to stop and look around.  I found a big Mack script chain drive adjustment wrench.  I bought cheap it and stuffed it in my suitcase for the flight home.  This was pre TSA days thankfully and there was no extra charge for the added weight to my bag.

Had I kept all the stuff I found over the years I’d need a separate house to store it in!

• Thanks 1

Your last line says it all, same issue here . It is all "feel good" stuff, never considered it an "investment" for future mega bucks sale purposes. I have stated before I live next to one of the largest most well know horse race tracks in the USA- the third leg of the triple crown, that place just now added a new arena to be the new ( and 3rd) home of a hockey team . Have lived here for decades and wouldn't know how to place a bet if I was told I would win a million bucks . I am not a hoarder, more isn't necessarily better, but I do have collections of collections. All for the historic or design value. Mack made some incredible trucks of all sizes, a good buddy of mine was the one that decades ago wrote the book of the  history of the company . 

I know what you experienced in an airport regarding "carry on luggage" to bring stuff home. I have done the same, usually gets the customs inspectors rolling their eyes and they just wave you through after a "whats zis?" question or two that they know you aren't being creative in the answer with , just truthful.  Truth is stranger then fiction...............

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Some of the electronic gizmos and parts I would hand carry to the factories would often get the TSA in head scratcher mode.  My favorite one had eighty wires on it and it was so vital to what I did I always carried it in my briefcase.  It was fun looking at the screener’s reaction and their “mind if we open this?” request. 

Anyway, yes I would explore places in my travels that might add to my collection of stuff that was fun to own.  I too don’t do the horses or go to professional sports events.  As my wife would say, just give him a big junk pile and he’s happy!

• Like 1

I thought about making a Mack shell into a display once but thought it might be a bit too large and heavy. That nose reminds me of a place called Dysart’s in Maine somewhere near Cole’s Truck Museum - there’s a few like that on their walls in the restaurant. 

I do like the look even though I don’t have the room…

184CCA6A-E95D-4A06-8721-830177A3E398.jpeg

• Like 3