Updates for 2022 AACA Grand Nationals in Virginia Beach

39 minutes ago, ChazA said:

Hi Marion,

Typo I believe on the email above as I got a delivery error.  Should probably be tbears3@verizon.net 

as Verizon does not use .com.

Thanks!  Chuck

Hello Chuck,

You are correct--thank you very much for pointing it out!  I corrected it in my original post.

Thank you again! 

• Like 1

Hi Marion,

Thanks for the update. I left a phone message and also emailed our information as requested to Mr Treadwell. I see there are no plans for Wednesday arrivals.

We will be arriving Wednesday as we are doing the Schaubach Car Collection Tour/Lunch on Thursday and the Ice cream Social also.

I am assuming that we aren't the only ones showing up on Wednesday to do the Tour Thursday.

I hope that we can be accomodated for trailer parking or I am assuming we can park at one of the Founders Inn parking lots

If you can confirm this it would be great. We are also looking forward to hearing from Mr. Treadwell regarding this.

Thanks,

Phil R.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)

3 hours ago, philip roitman said:

Hi Marion,

Thanks for the update. I left a phone message and also emailed our information as requested to Mr Treadwell. I see there are no plans for Wednesday arrivals.

We will be arriving Wednesday as we are doing the Schaubach Car Collection Tour/Lunch on Thursday and the Ice cream Social also.

I am assuming that we aren't the only ones showing up on Wednesday to do the Tour Thursday.

I hope that we can be accommodated for trailer parking or I am assuming we can park at one of the Founders Inn parking lots

If you can confirm this it would be great. We are also looking forward to hearing from Mr. Treadwell regarding this.

Thanks,

Phil R.

Hello Phil,

You're correct--you are not the only one arriving on Wednesday.  Talk to Bill Treadwell--he'll take care of you.

Thanks for checking, Phil!  Mark & I look forward to seeing you (and your GS) next month.  Safe travels!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marion McAlpine said:

Hello Phil,

You're correct--you are not the only one arriving on Wednesday.  Talk to Bill Treadwell--he'll take care of you.

Thanks for checking, Phil!  Mark & I look forward to seeing you (and your GS) next month.  Safe travels!

Thanks, Marion,

Emailed with Bill and we are good to go. Thanks again. We also look forward to seeing you and Mark.

Have a great weekend.

Best,

Phil

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

For those attending the 2022 AACA Grand Nationals in Virginia Beach, VA, on 19-21 May 2022—especially those of you trailering your vehicles—please be aware that traffic in the Hampton Roads area is very heavy during rush hours.  Please plan accordingly and, if possible, try to arrive in the area before 3:30 PM (3:00 PM on Friday) to avoid the usual traffic jams at the bridge-tunnels and adding an extra 45-60 minutes to your trip.

If you are arriving from north of Virginia Beach, you likely will use one of three bridge-tunnels to cross the water to reach Virginia Beach:

- If you are taking I-64, you will use the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (HRBT) to cross the James River.  (This is the shortest route for many travelers, but also the most congested during rush hours.  There are no tolls on the HRBT.)

- If you are taking I-664, you will use the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge Tunnel (MMBT) to cross the James River.  (This is a slightly longer route to Virginia Beach, but the backup at the MMBT is usually not as bad as at the HRBT.  However, it has its own challenges in that you will need to travel through two other areas that have traffic jams during rush hour:  the Bowers Hill interchange in Chesapeake and the High-Rise Bridge in Chesapeake, VA.  There are no tolls on the HRBT.)

- If you are taking Route 13, you will use the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (CBBT) to cross the Chesapeake Bay into Virginia Beach.  (Traffic on the CBBT is usually not bad, but when you jump on I-64 to get to the host hotel or alternate hotels you will encounter heavy traffic during rush hours.  The downsides for the CBBT are its tolls and that it sometimes has wind or weather restrictions that delay vehicles—especially RVs and vehicles pulling trailers or with external cargo on the roof—from crossing the bridge until the wind or extreme weather subsides.  One other caution:  obey the speed limits on the CBBT.  The police vigorously enforce the speed limits on the CBBT and do not hesitate ticketing drivers who exceed them.  One final note:  if anyone has a phobia about driving through the CBBT—the longest bridge-tunnel in the world—the CBBT offers driver assistance and will have someone drive your vehicle through the CBBT for you.  Please schedule this in advance by calling 757-331-2960.)

Those arriving from south of Virginia Beach usually do not need to use any of the bridge-tunnels.  So, although travelers arriving from the south may encounter some heavy traffic (especially during rush hour), they should not experience the same frustrations posed by the bridge-tunnels during rush hour.

Please drive safely!  The Tidewater Region looks forwarding to seeing you (and your antique vehicle!) at the 2022 Grand Nationals here in Virginia Beach, VA, on 19-21 May.

• Like 1

Some members attending the 2022 Grand Nationals have asked if there are any self-service car washes nearby where they can wash their antique vehicle before the show.  I did an Internet search and found two nearby.  (There may be more—these are the two I found online.  Please note that I have not used either of these car washes—I live over 20 miles away from them—but they look nice on their websites.  You can also ask employees at the front desk of your hotel for recommendations.)  Each of these car washes has automatic car wash bays, self-service car wash bays, and self-service vacuums.  The one on Lynnhaven Pkwy is closest to the host hotel (The Founders Inn) and the one on Sam's Circle is closest to the alternate hotels (Delta Hotel, Aloft, Holiday Inn Express, and Springhill Suites).

- Freedom Wash (about 2.5 miles from The Founders Inn and 6 miles from the alternate hotels)

2526 Lynnhaven Pkwy

Virginia Beach, VA  23464

- 5 self-service car wash bays

- 18 x vacuums

- Freedom Wash (about 6 miles from The Founders Inn and 3 miles from the alternate hotels)

1510 Sam’s Circle

Chesapeake, VA  23320

9 x self-service car wash bays

20 x vacuums

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We are now two weeks out from the 2022 AACA Grand Nationals.  The Tidewater Region is excited about the show (and hopes you are, too!) and is looking forward to hosting everyone here in Virginia Beach, VA, on Thursday-Saturday, 19-21 May 2022.

Everyone who registered for trailer parking will receive an email next week (if you provided your email address on your registration form) and be given directions for trailer parking.  Please follow the directions. 

First, please note that there is no trailer parking immediately around The Founders Inn & Spa.  Please do not bring your trailer to registration at the host hotel and definitely do not park it in the hotel parking lots.  Parking around the main hotel, its adjacent York Lodge, James Lodge, and Flowering Almond Spa is reserved for registered guests (and not large enough for trailers to maneuver or park anyway). 

Second, RV parking and most of the trailer parking (75%) is located on the campus of Regent University (where The Founders Inn is located).  The rest of trailer parking (25%) is at the nearby America’s Auto Auction facility (less than 3 miles away).  (This is a very secure facility—it has electric fences and will be locked overnight.)  Parking will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, but participants who arrive on Friday (and possibly some who arrive in the late afternoon on Thursday) can expect to park their trailer at the America’s Auto Auction location.

Third, participants who registered for trailer parking and arrive earlier than noon on Wednesday, 18 May 2022, will probably park in one of the show field lots and then need to move their trailer to their assigned trailer parking lot on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday.  (One of the trailer parking lots on the campus opens at 12 PM on Wednesday.  The others open on Thursday.  America’s Auto Auction opens on Friday.)

Fourth, please note that there is no day-of-show-only trailer parking on the Regent University campus.  For those arriving with trailers on Saturday, if you have not already spoken with Bill Treadwell (our Trailer Chairperson), go to America’s Auto Auction (656 S. Military Hwy, Virginia Beach, VA 23464), unload your show vehicle, and drive it to the show field.  If you did not preregister for trailer parking, you need to make your own arrangements for off-site trailer parking.

Fifth, there will be ORANGE signs directing you to trailer parking on Regent University.  Please follow the signs.  Note that the entrance to trailer parking is immediately after you exit I-64 onto Indian River Road.  (It comes up quickly—you will still be in the right exit lane—and is about 100 yards before you the traffic light at the entrance to The Founders Inn.) 

Finally, a couple of cautions:  1) Please note that the owners of the parking lots being used for trailer parking (including America’s Auto Auction) have directed that there be no photography in the trailer parking lots.  Please respect their wishes.  2) Please park your trailer (or RV) only in your assigned parking lot.  (There are other lots on the Regent University campus, but these are reserved for students and for employees of Regent University, CBN, QVC, and Anthem Insurance.  If you park your trailer in any of these lots, you risk having your trailer ticketed and/or towed.)

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.  If you have any questions, please contact our Trailer Chairperson—Bill Treadwell—at (757) 650-3667. 

See you in two weeks—safe travels!

• Like 1

SEVERAL HOTEL ROOMS JUST OPENED AT THE HOST HOTEL (THE FOUNDERS INN) FOR THE 2022 AACA GRAND NATIONALS

The Founders Inn just informed us that several guests cancelled their rooms for the Grand Nationals.  The hotel has reopened the reservations weblink for 24 hours and has agreed to still honor the group rate of $124/night.  If anyone is still looking for a room, I recommend you contact the hotel immediately.  (Please remember that a 2-night minimum reservation is required.)

Here's the link.  (If it doesn't activate by clicking on it, remember to copy and paste the entire link into your browser.)  

Booking Link: https://www.hilton.com/en/book/reservation/deeplink/?ctyhocn=ORFFIUP&groupCode=AACA&arrivaldate=2022-05-18&departuredate=2022-05-22&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECT

You can also call the hotel direct at (757) 366-5700 to make reservations.

Good luck!  The Tidewater Region looks forward to seeing everyone here in Virginia Beach next week.  We've put a lot of work into it, and it is going to be a great show.

The 2022 AACA Grand Nationals car show is almost here!  Car trailers are already beginning to arrive (some without advance warning, which is not helpful) as some members arrive early to explore Virginia Beach and the other surrounding areas in Hampton Roads.  The current weather projection looks great for the Zenith Awards on Friday and the Grand Nationals on Saturday:  mostly sunny with temperatures in the low 80s.

A few reminders for those hitting the road to the Grand Nationals later this week:

- We strongly recommend you try to arrive and cross the bridge-tunnels into Hampton Roads before 3:30 PM (3 PM on Friday) or you will get to experience the pleasure of the region’s afternoon rush hour traffic backups.

- If you are towing a car trailer, please take your trailer directly to trailer parking before checking in at your hotel or coming to the registration desk for the Grand Nationals.  (The driveways at the hotels, especially at The Founders Inn, are difficult to maneuver in and the parking lots are limited to average size vehicles.) 

- If your GPS recommends taking I-64 for the final leg of your trip on the late afternoon on Monday-Friday (especially on Friday), consider taking US-460 instead to avoid heavy traffic congestion in Williamsburg and Hampton, VA (especially approaching the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel—the HRBT—to cross from Hampton into Virginia Beach and Norfolk).

- Please remember the trailer parking hours and plan your arrival accordingly:

Wednesday:   Noon – 6 PM

Thursday:       9 AM – 6 PM

Friday:            9 AM – 6 PM

Saturday:       6:30 AM – 11 PM and 3 PM – 6 PM

Sunday:          7 AM – Noon

(If you are arriving at other times, you should have already called our Trailer Chairperson—Bill Treadwell—at 757-650-3667.)

- Please note that there is no day-of-show-only trailer parking on the Regent University campus.  For those arriving with trailers on Saturday, if you have not already spoken with Bill Treadwell (our Trailer Chairperson), go straight to America’s Auto Auction (656 S. Military Hwy, Virginia Beach, VA 23464), unload your show vehicle, and drive it to the show field.  If you did not preregister for trailer parking, you need to make your own arrangements for off-site trailer parking.

- Pick up your registration packet at The Founders Inn & Spa (after dropping your car trailer):

Thursday:     9 AM - 5 PM at the Grand Nationals Registration Desk in the foyer outside the Virginia Ballroom

Friday:           9 AM – 6 PM at the Grand Nationals Registration Desk in the foyer outside the Virginia Ballroom.

Saturday:      7 AM – 10 AM outside at the Registration Tent on the way to the Show Field.

- Finally, a couple of cautions:  

-- Please note that photography is not allowed in the trailer parking lots (including at America’s Auto Auction).  This is directed by the owners of the parking lots.  Please respect their wishes.  

-- Please, park your trailer (or RV) only in your assigned parking lot.  (There are other parking lots on the Regent University campus, but these are reserved for students and for employees of Regent University, The Founders Inn, CBN, QVC, and Anthem Insurance.  If you park your trailer anywhere other than in the assigned trailer parking lots, you risk having your trailer ticketed and/or towed.)

Safe travels, everyone!  The Tidewater Region looks forward to hosting you here at The Founders Inn & Spa this weekend (and to applauding you when your vehicle receives its award!).

Edited by Marion McAlpine
Correct typos in next to last paragraph (see edit history)

We’ve had a number of members contact us in the last few days and tell us that they could not park their car trailer before unloading their show vehicle—that they needed to be able to unload their vehicle directly onto the show field because it is not insured and does not have license plates. 

Per the AACA Judging Guidelines (Page 4-33, Appendix 4 – Sample Vehicle Registration Form), all vehicles must have current liability insurance to enter the show field.  Owners were required to acknowledge this when they signed the registration form to enter their vehicle into the Grand Nationals:  “I affirm that this vehicle has current liability insurance in accordance with all applicable state and local laws.”  Unfortunately, owners will not be able to unload their vehicles directly onto the show field on Saturday.  Additionally, if your vehicle is found to not have current liability insurance, it will not be allowed on the show field and will not be judged.

Here are the answers to some of the frequently asked questions we have received this week:

- Can I still register a vehicle for the show?

Answer:  NO.

- Can I still register for any of the tours?

Answer:  NO.  HOWEVER, THERE HAVE BEEN A COUPLE OF CANCELLATIONS FOR THE TOURS.  OUR REGISTRATION CHAIRPERSON IS CONTACTING THOSE ON THE WAITING LIST TO SEE IF THEY WANT TO PURCHASE THE TICKETS.  IF TICKETS ARE STILL AVAILABLE AFTER EVERYONE ON THE WAITING LIST HAS BEEN CONTACTED, THEY WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AT THE REGISTRATION TABLE.  CHECK WITH THE VOLUNTEERS AT THE REGISTRATION TABLE FOR AVAILABILITY.

- Can I still purchase tickets for the Ice Cream Social, Barbecue Dinner, or Awards Banquet?
  Answer:  NO.  HOWEVER, THERE HAVE BEEN A COUPLE OF CANCELLATIONS FOR THESE EVENTS.  OUR REGISTRATION CHAIRPERSON IS CONTACTING THOSE ON THE WAITING LIST TO SEE IF THEY WANT TO PURCHASE THE TICKETS.  IF TICKETS ARE STILL AVAILABLE AFTER EVERYONE ON THE WAITING LIST HAS BEEN CONTACTED, THEY WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AT THE REGISTRATION TABLE.  CHECK WITH THE VOLUNTEERS AT THE REGISTRATION TABLE FOR AVAILABILITY.

- If I cancel my registration now, will I receive a refund?

Answer:  NO.  AS STATED ON THE INFORMATION BROCHURE AND REGISTRATION FORM, ALL REQUESTS FOR REFUNDS HAD TO BE SUBMITTED BY 19 APRIL.  HOWEVER, IF YOU CANCEL YOUR REGISTRATION NOW AND PURCHASED MEAL TICKETS, WE WILL TRY TO SELL YOUR TICKETS TO THOSE ASKING TO SIGN UP AT THE SHOW.  IF WE SELL YOUR TICKETS, WE WILL NOTIFY YOU BY EMAIL AFTER THE SHOW AND SEND YOU A REFUND AFTER THE SHOW.  IF YOU PURCHASED A T-SHIRT, WE WILL MAIL IT TO YOU.  PLEASE ALLOW 2-4 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY.

- I don’t have insurance or license plates on my vehicle.  May I drive my trailer onto the show field and unload my vehicle directly onto the show field?

Answer:  NO.  THERE WILL BE NO ROOM ON THE SHOW FIELD TO DO THIS ON SATURDAY MORNING AND IT WOULD BLOCK THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC OF OTHER VEHICLES ENTERING THE SHOW FIELD.  (ADDITIONALLY, PER THE AACA JUDGING GUIDELINES, ALL VEHICLES MUST HAVE CURRENT LIABILITY INSURANCE TO ENTER THE SHOW FIELD.  IF YOUR VEHICLE IS FOUND TO NOT HAVE CURRENT LIABILITY INSURANCE, IT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE SHOW FIELD AND WILL NOT BE JUDGED.)

- What’s the projected weather for Friday and Saturday?

Answer:  AS OF TODAY, THE WEATHER LOOKS GREAT FOR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY.  BOTH DAYS ARE EXPECTED TO BE SUNNY WITH TEMPERATURES IN THE MID-TO HIGH 80S.  TEMPERATURES ON THURSDAY ARE PROJECTED TO BE MID-80 WITH A 50% CHANCE OF RAIN BEFORE 7 AM, NO RAIN BETWEEN 7 AM – 4 PM, AND A 7-25% CHANCE OF RAIN BETWEEN 4 PM – 10 PM, SO IT SHOULD BE A GOOD TRAVEL DAY—AT LEAST IN THE LOCAL AREA.  SUNDAY IS PROJECTED TO BE SUNNY, WITH TEMPERATURES IN THE HIGH 80S AND A 1-8% CHANCE OF RAIN BEFORE 10 PM, 54% CHANCE OF RAIN AFTER 10 PM.  (HOWEVER, THIS IS VIRGINIA BEACH, LOCATED ON THE OCEAN, AND THE WEATHER CAN CHANGE.  IF YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WEATHER, PLEASE CHECK YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE FOR WEATHER UPDATES FOR THE MOST CURRENT INFORMATION.)

- Where may I pick up my registration packet?

Answer:  PICK UP YOUR REGISTRATION PACKET AT THE FOUNDERS INN (AFTER DROPPING YOUR CAR TRAILER):

THURSDAY:  9 AM - 5 PM AT THE GRAND NATIONALS REGISTRATION DESK IN THE FOYER OUTSIDE THE BALL ROOM

FRIDAY:        9 AM – 6 PM AT THE GRAND NATIONALS REGISTRATION DESK IN THE FOYER OUTSIDE THE VIRGINIA BALLROOM.

SATURDAY:  7 AM – 10 AM OUTSIDE AT THE REGISTRATION TENT ON THE WAY TO THE SHOW FIELD.

- Where is trailer parking and when is it open?

Answer:  MOST OF TRAILER PARKING (75%) IS LOCATED ON THE CAMPUS OF REGENT UNIVERSITY.  THE REMAINDER OF TRAILER PARKING IS LOCATED OFFSITE AT AMERICA’S AUTO AUCTIONS (656 S. MILITARY HWY, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA 23464), WHICH IS LESS THAN 3 MILES AWAY.  BASED ON WHEN PEOPLE TOLD US THEY ARE ARRIVING WITH THEIR TRAILERS, IF YOU ARE ARRIVING ON FRIDAY, PLAN ON GOING DIRECTLY TO AMERICA’S AUTO AUCTIONS.  (IT IS A SECURED FACILITY—IT IS ENCLOSED WITH AN ELECTRIC FENCE AND LOCKED OVERNIGHT.) 

HERE ARE THE TRAILER PARKING HOURS.  PLEASE PLAN YOUR ARRIVAL ACCORDINGLY.  (WE STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TRY TO ARRIVE BEFORE 3:30 PM TO AVOID HAMPTON ROADS RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC, ESPECIALLY AT THE BRIDGE TUNNELS CROSSING FROM THE NORTH INTO VIRGINIA BEACH.)

WEDNESDAY:  NOON – 6 PM

THURSDAY:      9 AM – 6 PM

FRIDAY:              9 AM – 6 PM

SATURDAY:      6:30 AM – 11 PM AND 3 PM – 6 PM

SUNDAY:           7 AM – NOON

(If you are arriving at other times, you should have already called and coordinated this with our Trailer Chairperson—Bill Treadwell—at 757-650-3667.)

- I did not register for trailer parking and am arriving on Saturday.  May I unload my vehicle at the host hotel or directly on the show field?

Answer:  NO.  THERE IS NO DAY-OF-SHOW-ONLY TRAILER PARKING ON THE REGENT UNIVERSITY CAMPUS.  FOR THOSE ARRIVING WITH TRAILERS ON SATURDAY, IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY SPOKEN WITH BILL TREADWELL (OUR TRAILER CHAIRPERSON), GO STRAIGHT TO AMERICA’S AUTO AUCTION (656 S. MILITARY HWY, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA 23464), UNLOAD YOUR SHOW VEHICLE, AND DRIVE IT TO THE SHOW FIELD.  IF YOU DID NOT PREREGISTER FOR TRAILER PARKING, YOU NEED TO MAKE YOUR OWN ARRANGEMENTS FOR OFF-SITE TRAILER PARKING.

- What is the dress for the Ice Cream Social on Thursday and the Barbecue on Friday?

Answer:  DRESS FOR THE ICE CREAM SOCIAL AND BARBECUE IS CASUAL.  HOWEVER, THE FOUNDERS INN IS AN UPSCALE HOTEL, SO NO TANKS TOPS, PLEASE. (AND, IN KEEPING WITH AACA POLICY, THIS IS A FAMILY-FRIENDLY EVENT, SO NO CLOTHING WITH OFFENSIVE MESSAGES OR GRAPHICS AND NO POLITICAL MESSAGES.)

- What is the dress for the Awards Banquet on Saturday?

Answer:  MEMBERS MAY WEAR WHATEVER THEY WOULD TYPICALLY WEAR FOR DINNER, BUT KEEP IN MIND THAT THE FOUNDERS INN IS AN UPSCALE HOTEL AND THE GRAND NATIONALS ARE THE AACA’S PREMIER EVENT AND MORE UPSCALE THAN A REGULAR AACA NATIONALS.  WE RECOMMEND A SPORT COAT AND SLACKS (EQUIVALENT FOR WOMEN), BUT INEVITABLY SOME MEMBERS WILL IN SLACKS AND SPORTS SHIRTS, SOME IN SUITS, AND SOME MAYBE EVEN IN TUXEDOS.

The Tidewater Region looks forward to seeing everyone at the 2022 AACA Grand Nationals in Virginia Beach this week.  Please drive safely, arrive without incident, and be prepared to have fun.

Edited by Marion McAlpine
Correct typo and spacing errors. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hi, Marion.  Note of thanks to you for a great job keeping us posted on any and all changes as time went by leading up till today and a huge thank you to the Tidewater Region for a very successful meet.  

Regards,

Peter j.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Hi, Marion.  Note of thanks to you for a great job keeping us posted on any and all changes as time went by leading up till today and a huge thank you to the Tidewater Region for a very successful meet.  

Regards,

Peter j.

Hello Peter,

Thank you very much!  I am glad you had a good time.  As you know it takes a team, and I had a great one. 

I appreciate your kind words.

Have a safe trip home.

We're tired but proud to have hosted such a great event. It was hot but considering the alternative, I'll take as much sunshine as possible. Thanks to Everyone who attended and to all who made it great.  The Tidewater Region tradition continues!!!

Terry

• Like 3

Just got home from the Grand National and I want to thank everyone from the Tidewater Chapter for a job well done.  Thing went smoothly and we had a great weekend.  My thanks to all the AACA staff that helped as well, it was an exciting weekend for us with the Zenith Awards and everyone made us feel special!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have returned home and unloaded and unpacked as well.  Kudos to all for the smooth meet and when you meet next to review all event aspects make sure to give the parking lot layout crew an extra clap. Job very well done in my opinion. Although I did have to briefly put the car in 4th gear from trailer to showfield.😁

Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to thank everyone who came to Virginia Beach this past weekend to participate in the 2022 AACA Grand Nationals.  I hope you had a great time, that your vehicle received the award you worked so hard to earn, and that you made it home safely without incident.

I want to thank everyone on my team who helped make the show happen.  We had almost 100 volunteers.  Each one contributed to the success of this show and we could not have done it without them.  I appreciate and I am proud of each of them.

I also want to thank my friend Norm Hutton for serving as Chief Judge for the show.  He did a great job.

Again, thanks to everyone who came to the show!

• Like 4

Thank you Marion and the Tidewater region for a fantastic meet!  My son and I just got back home around 9:45 PM to Syracuse NY area (left at 10am and stopped many times for breaks) .....Just finished unpacking.  Loved the tours, events, judging and especially meeting old friends..and making new ones :) This meet was the 10th "anniversary" of my son and I attending AACA meets with our cars!  In 2012 Reading, we knew no one...now we knew probably more that half of the members at this GN :) Thank you all!! 

Chuck Swanson

Edited by ChazA (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to thank the Tidewater Region for hosting a great meet.  I know several of your members have gone on to serve AACA on the National Level, but then to turn around and put on a great meet is just icing on the cake.  Between the people who have served on the national level and the way you've hosted national events, the members of the Tidewater Region are among a handful of regions who continue to show how committed they are to promoting both the hobby and AACA.

A special shout out goes to Bill Treadwell.  Bill was wonderful in terms of working with me to help me get in and get my rig parked.  Without him I could've faced some serious problems.

The facilities were great, but with the fuel prices, I'm not sure if I'd be able to do another one that far away from home until things change.  Unfortunately that isn't anyone's fault from anyone from within AACA.  In all the meets we've been to, we've seldom ever shelled out more than a $1,000 to get to a meet, show a car and get back home.  In this case, it cost me $1,000 just in fuel to get to the meet and that didn't include the other expenses as well as getnting back home.

Please understand that this is nothing against you or anyone involved with the Tidewater Region, but this meet brought a lot of concerns to me.  With our membership aging, fuel prices escalating and many people living on fixed incomes, I am concerned what it's going to do to the health and well being of AACA.  What makes things even harder, with these rising prices, it also makes things harder to attract the younger members that AACA desperately needs right now.

The only mistake that was made, only affected me, but we worked through it (the long wheel base of the fire truck made it tough to get in and get parked).

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I would like to thank Marion McAlpine and all of the Tidewater Region members for all their hard work for hosting a Grand National. It was nice to go on the Forum and see up to date information about the happenings with the GN. My wife and I enjoyed it and we had a good time. We enjoyed the Abacus tour. All the Judges on the Judging team I was on commitment how nice it was to receive a Dash Plaque. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joel and I had a great time, as usual, at this Grand National meet! We do enjoy seeing old friends and meeting new ones. The cars were superb, the hotel and showfield we're amazing.  Thanks to all involved!!

This was my best friends first time at an AACA show and she enjoyed every minute!

PXL_20220521_132447765.jpg

-qs6s5r.jpg

PXL_20220521_132806518.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry Adams, our Registration Chair for the 2022 AACA Grand Nationals, provided some interesting trivia from the show that I thought others might find interesting:  where registered participants in the show came from.  

AL 9
AZ 1
CA 1
CT 7
DC 1
DE 6
FL 19
GA 6
IL 4
IN 2
KS 1
KY 3
MA 3
MD 30
MI 3
MO 4
MS 2
NC 54
NH 2
NJ 29
NV 1
NY 12
OH 9
PA 74
RI 1
SC 11
TN 9
VA 91
WA 1
WI 2
WV 9

ON 1
ON = Ontario, Canada
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I find this very interesting, Marion.  Cannot ever recall seeing these numbers for about 48 National and Grand National meets that I attended over 24 years of attendance.  Often wondered about it.

Regards,

Peter J.

• Like 2