One Owner 1973 Montego GT - $10,000 (Indian Wells)

Here's one you won't see everyday.

Not a bad looking car but for that gov't mandated front bumper.   Looks very clean from the limited pictures. 

A nice set of factory Ford GT wheels would finish this car nicely.  Good history and priced fairly too, I think.

mont1.jpg.8c594f58358c997b665c42e28a1eb72e.jpgmont2.jpg.583f90a59941410a8d8827afc34b8068.jpgmont3.jpg.05b0468dce06e1b880f3dca56d61cb74.jpgmont4.jpg.5a90fe876dea4bccaa46cfd46fc0b9c7.jpgmont5.jpg.cac201339a7c02d49348d4cf7251145c.jpg

https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/cto/d/palm-springs-one-owner-1973-montego-gt/7409450182.html

1973 Mercury Montego GT – One Owner – 120,300 miles – Indian Wells Resident for 49 Years – No Rust - For Sale
Factory options include: 351 Cleveland with C-6 Automatic Trans, Power Steering, Seat, Windows, Brakes, Air Conditioning, Tinted Glass, Class II Suspension,
This car was ordered from Palm Springs Lincoln Motors in Palm Springs in November of 1972 by the current owner. For Sale at McCormick’s Palm Springs Collector Car Auction, with No Reserve this Friday afternoon, November 19th, 2021

Reply by e-mail only: 8e457b0e1f7734bb9b3f53e646edd288@sale.craigslist.org

8 minutes ago, deac said:

those wheels detract from the car!!

They do, and I am never certain WHY so many owners feel the need to change wheels BUT - I used to own Buick Reattas, and they made the same wheel from 1988 to 1990, and in that and surrounding years, GM made some OTHER nice looking wheels that went well with the Reatta.   

In this case, yes, as far as I recall, the Ford factory wheels are available even in custom sizes.  I would go 15 x 7.  Then you would have a cool car.  I guess this is the Mercury "Torino GT".  I love me some 72-73 Torino GT's.  Correct that the front bumper is extended for 5 mph but still not "too" bad.  

I think the restyle of the Torino to the 1972-73, or even later, 75-76 era was a nice looking car.  I owned a 72 Torino but not the fastback.  

• Like 1

You guys are looking at those wheels the wrong way. They are great - they ruin the looks and will turn off many potential buyers.  So you are more likely to negotiate a good price. Wheels and tires are an easy swap, then sell these. 

Yes, I’m a “glass is half full” kind of guy. 😁

- John

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gearheadengineer said:

You guys are looking at those wheels the wrong way. They are great - they ruin the looks and will turn off many potential buyers.  So you are more likely to negotiate a good price. Wheels and tires are an easy swap, then sell these. 

Yes, I’m a “glass is half full” kind of guy. 😁

- John

I agree John 100%.  Buy it with those wheels, get what you want including tires and offset that cost when you sell these.

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

I am never certain WHY so many owners feel the need to change wheels

Like a dog at a fire hydrant the owner feels that they just have to leave their mark to claim ownership. 

• Haha 2

Good looking car. I had a 72 Gran Torino, same back window look. Pretty sure the 72 was a one year only model. I bought it from my brother in law. He bought the car brand new along with a brand new pinto. The torino sat in the garage with the pinto being his DD. I bought the car in '82 and it had about 6k miles on it. One of those that I wish I had back.

6 hours ago, Gearheadengineer said:

You guys are looking at those wheels the wrong way. They are great - they ruin the looks and will turn off many potential buyers.  So you are more likely to negotiate a good price. Wheels and tires are an easy swap, then sell these

I was just looking at the car from the stand point of how the car looks today.  However if I was buying the car I would use the wheels as a negotiating point to knuckle the selling price down.

I contacted the seller to ask if he still had the original wheels.  He said he does.  He has five standard black steel wheels with full hubcaps that came with the car when new.

This car is an education for me. I don't ever recall seeing that year and model (2 door ht) either in person or print. The roof line is attractive and striking enough that I definitely would've remembered it. It's the first American car from that era - memorable or otherwise - that I was unaware of. It's not like I'm indifferent to Mercury Montegos from that period, either...I had a '71 Montego 2 door ht back in the early '80's. They must not have made very many of them.