1938 Buick Special Door Panel And Window Removal Question

likeold

I have been fighting trying to get the door panels off my 1938 Buick Special. I bought the tool to push the retaining clips out but it does not fit the 38 Special any recommendations where to get a tool that will fit this car? Seems like the tool will work on any car except for this one for some reason. Also it has ivory-colored extrusions behind all the handles, I can find the extrusions for almost any other car except for this one, any ideas? I checked all the parts suppliers that I know and eBay no luck. Bobs. Kanter, Old Buick Parts where else can I look?

I don't know for sure whats wrong, but I have a good guess. My 36 Pontiac has those same GM clips, and I have a couple of the usual tools, but there is metal in the way and the tool we all know and love does not work, at all, in either size.

Some people have threaded a rag between the escutcheon and the handle, and drag it around in a circle to "roll" the clip out when the rag gets caught on an end. There was also at one time a tool that caught an end and "rolled" the clip on around like that. I have one but I can't find it, nor could I find any for sale the last time this came up in the forum.

Once you have the handle off of the car, put a clip in it and try to slide the tool through while everything is out where you can see it. If the handles are made like mine, the problem will be obvious.

There are a zillion kinds on those escutcheons on GM cars of the period. I broke one of mine, a black one with a simple rounded edge. It turns out that mine is not one of the more common ones, and I had to resort to trolling ebay and buying some handles that included the escutcheons.

Since it's a 38 Buick, I'd check with Dave Tachney for an escutcheon.

• Like 1

Yes exactly what I was thinking after I posted my question, I got a few handles off (not easy) I destroyed the tool that I bought so I'm going to buy another one and I think maybe I can modify it now that I have a handle off and I can figure out what the problem is.

• Like 1

If this is like 36, it is the tools that slide through the slot that don't work. It is because the slot that the tool slides through on newer GM handles does not go all the way through on these old ones. That's a lousy explanation, but all will become clear when you try to do it on the bench. Whatever you get has to rotate the clip off. That pliers Daves1940Buick56S posted looks like it would do fine.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

When I disassembled my 1938 Century, I took a small hook tool from Harbor Freight Tools and was able to hook the clips and pull them off enough to remove the handles. I subsequently purchased the correct tool from Bob's Automobilia although I have not ever had a chance to use it yet. 

https://bobsautomobilia.com/shop/handles-knobs/door-handle-clip-removal-tool-1930-60-hc-tool/ 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, neil morse said:

I had the same experience with my '41.  This tool will NOT work:

removal_tool1.jpg.6be0331911b03859f4b95094a605c04d.jpg

This tool WILL work:

removal_tool2.jpg.229355e8684173add73392a3985967af.jpg

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/body/windshield-molding-door-handle-clip-pliers

Just bought one these tools on Amazon for $10 from Lislecorp hope it works better than little screw drivers and frustration 

So these little plastic ivory-colored extrusions behind all the handles are pretty brittle and are either broken or are cracked and can't find them anywhere. Has any one found something else that can be used maybe from a later model metal or plastic. My interior is not in the best of shape so I'm not going to be super fussy on the color at this point.

20211121_144340.jpg

Okay, moving onto the next issue. So far I have replaces all the vent window glass and the rear windows, moving on the the door glass. How do you get the back door glass out of the door? I see on the up/down mechanism there is a open slot at the back of the rail to slip the roller out but how do you get it in that spot?

20211122_111824.jpg

Edited by likeold (see edit history)

It has been a while but if I recall correctly, if you just remove the window garnish moulding and the felt window run channel you should be able to move the window glas enough to remove the window without removing the regulator from the door. I feel fairly sure that I covered that somewhere in my 1938 Century Restoration story on the forum. If not, Gary Wheeler's 1937 Special restoration story should be helpful to you. 

Okay, I got them out yes, you have to remove the garnish and felt channel. When I took the four screws out of the regulator I turn it just enough so it slipped out of the channel now I need to get the glass cut. I also bought new felt runners for the channels

• Like 1

Now for the challenging job, the windshield. I got the center piece out, but it I pretty much destroyed one half of the windshield and need to save the other piece for a template to get new glass cut. I will not be able to get the glass out without cutting all the rubber. There seems to be different options for the rubber replacement online and of course I would need the centerpiece rubber as well that would have to be to spec. The rubber piece that is in there is one piece all the way around except for the center post. One option I see on line is two pieces of rubber and you seal it at the center post, I think that would certainly make installation a lot easier. Any tips would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

For a great generic tool for removing door handle retaining clips get some broken dental instruments form your dentist at your next visit. They work great for many things....including cleaning teeth!         

Thanks

Leif 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1