Brush Paint

in2antiques

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready to paint my Liberty Brush.  I have a good compressor and gun, but have never painted anything before, and especially, never automotive paint on wood.   Any suggestions?  Nothing fancy, but have already purchased a single stage paint I intend to use for the wood, fenders, hood, and seat.  I'm mostly concerned about preparation and painting the wooden body.  It's been sanded down to bare wood and awaiting my attention.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave 

Edited by in2antiques
Mis-typed “Liberty” (see edit history)

The paint shop would be a great place to start for advice on spraying your paint. also there many good tutorial's on YouTube about spraying for beginners.

My advice is practice on an old bit of wood or steel panel and get the technique of the spray overlap and movement speed across the panel.

Buy some inexpensive oil paint (rustoleum) at the hardware store and spray a few things around the garage ie. wheelbarrow, shop fridge, & etc. Then you will have better control and ability to make good adjustments to the gun. Try thinning to different viscosities just to see what happens. 

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

Thanks for the advice.  Rather than wasting my expensive paint, I better hit some stores for some cheaper brands and practice.  The folks at the automotive paint store where I purchased my paint had no idea about painting wood. I guess the young folks working there have never seen or heard of a wooden bodied car.  It's coming together though, and I'd love to start driving her soon.

I had to refinish a wood door that was deeply scratched (grooves) by a persistent big dog and found bond type filler worked perfectly. I was even able to use a transparent wood stain. and it stained without showing that it was a repair. Of course there was no primer used on that job.

• Thanks 1