Another Car Guy Has Passed.... Mark Smith

Steve Moskowitz

Frank, Mark had two big collections of cars, yes, but not any museums. His Va. location was where he had a collector car sales business and also stored many of his own cars from his collection. I know people were invited to look at his collection but unlike a museum there were not regular or set hours even once a month or so.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found this, purely by accident. What a shock!

I first met Mark in the late 1950s or early 1960s. He was always very sociable and willing to sit and talk about his love for cars. Over the years we visited many times at car shows and also at various meetings. Several years ago we were on our way home from FL and decided to accept his perpetual invitation to visit his Lynchburg collection. We called and made arrangements to meet him at the Museum. WOW! What a great way to spend several hours. When we left he gave us an invitation for the future to visit his "other" collection of foreign cars. So sorry to hear of his passing. He will be missed by many of us!   Don Weir, York PA

Concours Aps2 (Large).JPG

Edited by brewsterbuff (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I never met Mark but talked wiht him by phone and email several times. We were haggling about a very rough 1960 Elva Courier that he had on his website and eventually our negotiations stalled. We hadn't talked for a while.  I am sorry to hear of his untimely passing. The car hobby has lost another true enthusiast. I'm still interested in acquiring this car. I own two Elvas and have a lot of the unique parts needed to complete the project. I remember Mark saying it was stored "in an old Nash dealership, near an airplane and a Porsche tractor."  If anyone knows how to correspond with the estate or perhaps a broker that is handling the car collection I'd sincerely appreciate the opportunity to contact them regarding this old Courier.  

1960-Elva-Courier-MkII-Front.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was fortunate enough to meet Mark and get a private tour of his building in Lynchburg during the summer of 2020. I spent hours peering through his windows every time I was in Lynchburg visiting family. I was finally able to find a contact email for Mark and was amazed when he agreed to show me, a person that he had never met, around his amazing building. He agreed to let me take photos if I didn’t post them anywhere. What are everyone thoughts now that he is gone? Can/should I share my photos? Thanks for sharing and helping me to learn more about Mark.

18 minutes ago, utahdodge said:

I was fortunate enough to meet Mark and get a private tour of his building in Lynchburg during the summer of 2020. I spent hours peering through his windows every time I was in Lynchburg visiting family. I was finally able to find a contact email for Mark and was amazed when he agreed to show me, a person that he had never met, around his amazing building. He agreed to let me take photos if I didn’t post them anywhere. What are everyone thoughts now that he is gone? Can/should I share my photos? Thanks for sharing and helping me to learn more about Mark.

Hard to say. I think after the final auction, and everything is no more, photos published in the open are fine. Then again, he asked you not to post them anywhere…….so it’s a judgment call based upon a conversation.

Now about a hundred photos are posted on Facebook. Cat is way out of the bag. Personally, if I took them, I wouldn’t post them until after the entire collection is gone and part of history. Doesn’t make me right or wrong…….just my two cents.

2 hours ago, SC38dls said:

A verbal agreement is still a binding contract in my book and maybe legally also. I personally would not do it because my word is my bond. 
dave s 

A contract can be oral or written, but a monetary

consideration must change hands for it to be a contract.

But Dave, we can tell you're a gentleman, and such

a gentlemen's agreement is honored by ladies and

gentlemen no matter what contract law says!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I was vey saddened to hear of  Mark's death. He and I were friends for many years and I was always invited (and always went) to his Memorial Weekend parties in Virginia. Mark was a one of a kind person! I noticed that his death happened almost a month after his stroke. What was his actual cause of death? Was it his cancer or was it his heart? Go with God, my friend!

My wife and I also met Mark's mother, whom he fondly called "old Blue Hair" His mom had an amazing collection of American cut glass. She was very proud of it. I  wonder what will happen to that? His mom also produced the Sunday Brunch for Mark's Memorial Day Party. A lovely event in a wonderful setting!

When I showed my 1930 Rolls-Royce Brewster Regent Convertible to Mark, Mark's comment was: A really nice old girl! Real praise coming from Mark!

On 10/6/2022 at 4:42 PM, Peter Zobian said:

I was vey saddened to hear of  Mark's death. He and I were friends for many years and I was always invited (and always went) to his Memorial Weekend parties in Virginia. Mark was a one of a kind person! I noticed that his death happened almost a month after his stroke. What was his actual cause of death? Was it his cancer or was it his heart? Go with God, my friend!

Cancer