Turn signal problems 1995 Ford F250

Jack Bennett

Realizing that a 1995 model pickup truck doesn’t quite qualify as a classic, as defined in AACA rules, I’ll begin with a explanation. I recently bought a needy 1995 Ford F-250 restore and use as a tow vehicle for a trailer to haul my 1923 Dodge Roadster, 1927 Willys Knight 70A coach and my 1948 Ford 8N tractor. So, even though my F-250 isn’t a actual classic, it is connected at the hip to three of them.

A bit of help in getting the problem I’m having with turn signals fixed would be really appreciated.

The turn signals worked perfectly until I replaced a blown fuse (#6 in the distribution box) in the right turn signal leg of the trailer lighting system. The fuse (#7 in the instrument panel fuse box) checks and I am getting power to both the fuse and the positive side of the blinker plug.

The guy on the Ford forum says there is a second blinker on the reverse side of the fuse board on the left lower side of the instrument panel, and that is probably the,problem.

I have never heard of a turn signal/hazard warning system using two blinkers, and since the hazard warnings are working, I doubt the blinker providing power to it is wrong.

It is raining, the wind is blowing like crazy, it’s colder than a well diggers jewels, and I seriously don’t feel like disassembling the dash board to find out if there is a 2nd blinker there, or he’s pulling my leg.

Has anyone had experience with this electrical system, and is there a 2nd blinker on the back of the fuse panel?

Help please!

Actually, it IS of AACA age.

I do know GM cars had two flashers starting when 4 way flashers became standard. Reason? Flashers are current specific back then. So, the flasher rated for front and rear bulbs on one side was a different current rating than the flasher that flashed front and rear on both sides. Many many times I have had to tell people who replaced the obvious flasher on a GM car (the one on the fuse box) to fix no blinking, that they replaced the wrong one. Look for the one snapped under the dash by itself and replace that one. So, maybe Ford in 1995 was the same with two flashers?

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Actually, it IS of AACA age.

I do know GM cars had two flashers starting when 4 way flashers became standard. Reason? Flashers are current specific back then. So, the flasher rated for front and rear bulbs on one side was a different current rating than the flasher that flashed front and rear on both sides. Many many times I have had to tell people who replaced the obvious flasher on a GM car (the one on the fuse box) to fix no blinking, that they replaced the wrong one. Look for the one snapped under the dash by itself and replace that one. So, maybe Ford in 1995 was the same with two flashers?

Thanks Frank. I have driven Ford trucks for years and have worked as a professional mechanic on heavy duty Ford trucks for a couple of decades. I suppose though that these flashers must last a long time because I have never heard of a second one. But, I’m betting the farm that you’re right, and tomorrow, rain or shine, I’ll find out.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I was going nuts (not that far of a trip) about five years ago with a strange issue on my 1999 F350 DRW (following from my maintenance records): 

"10/6/16 Issue: no stop lights except high-mount, no turn signals or hazard flashers.  Failed part was a relay replaced by Ford no. 5C3Z-13350-AA, $37.38 from Ford dealer (would have been 1/3 the price if I was willing to wait for an eBay shipment, which I wasn't).  This relay is underneath the radio in a lateral wire run above the cup holder (of all places) which had to be removed, and the defective relay was warm to the touch when I removed it.  Haynes manual diagram was no help; my friend Cliff provided an All-Data page."

This was after replacing the multi-function switch that is part of the turn signal/wiper stalk with no improvement.

I have no idea whether this might be the source of your malfunction, but I hope it helps someone.

• Like 1

This morning I rechecked the AACA Forum for any new posts, and proceeded to tend to my F-250 blinker problem.

It took a few seconds to pull the flasher relay from the front of the fuse panel and insert the replacement flasher I had in my tool box.

Many thanks to the several AACA members who provided me with some very helpful, and 100%.spot on information regarding the 2nd flasher relay question.

So, the 1995 F-250 does have separate flashers, one for the hazard warning blinkers, which IS barely visible on the rear of the fuse panel, and the turn signal flasher relay, found exactly where it should be, on the front of the fuse pane.

Considering that I was prepared to completely rewire the truck, the lovely clicking sound from the newly installed lasher was a really welcome sound.

Thanks again for the replies and the superb help.

• Like 2