For Sale: 1958 Cadillac Sedan - "Very original--runs & drives excellent" - Boonton, NJ - Not Mine - 11/18 Deleted - 11/20 BIG Increase & Flipping

For sale on Craigslist: 1958 Cadillac 4-door Sedan in Boonton, NJ  -  $16,500  -  Call Steve: 973 588 43 three six

Link: https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/boonton-1958-cadillac-sedan/7405795243.html

Seller's Description:

1958 Cadillac 4-door Sedan

• condition: excellent
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 80,200
  • paint color: custom
  • title status: clean

Very original--runs & drives excellent--driven regularly. Always garaged. Seats, headliner, dashboard, chrome all in fine shape. Radio, antenna, power windows, Autronic Eye, and clock work. Exhaust has the correct resonators. Mostly original paint--sides touched up in places. A little rust repair behind back doors. Drips a little trans fluid. Heater core bypassed. Brand new master cylinder/brake booster.

• The key thing about this car is that all the important pieces like the steering wheel and dashboard vinyl (no waves or cracks), bumper ends, upholstery, and other items that are almost impossible to restore correctly are in excellent original shape. Even the original "Owner's Identification Card" is still in place under the hood!

Emails or phone calls only.

image.png.3a31bf087b45c4ff1e68cff196c9b86b.png

image.png.763616218d53b2e226c9b2559b7cf87c.png

image.png.b537aecb52f5b5e284a397a99a53dada.png

image.png.0f1688a41ef320162dc8f63bffae3194.png

image.png.762de3b3dbac3b2588f26777db7932e6.png

image.png.bfc6488cc1e60b108ace45bca67f89d8.png

image.png.459568aaaa0c1b6cab32a02651b4e6e7.png

image.png.b4915a88404030248fceb4e9d8956439.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update price & status (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Cadillac Sedan - "Very original--runs & drives excellent" - Boonton, NJ - Not Mine

Looks like a car that I would want to owned but there's no way I could park/store a car of that size.  Get that beast on the open road and I'll bet you'd cruise upwards of 70 mph and in lavish comfort!

A few encouraging notes, since I enjoy a

'57 Fleetwood 4-door hardtop quite similar

to this gray car:

---Parts are not unobtainable.  Dash pads can

be restored by "Just Dashes";  rear bumpers can

be replated, and used ones are around;  resonators

are likely available from any source (such as Waldron's

Exhaust) that serves old cars.

---The car is not overly large.  It fits in any normal

garage.  And believe it or not, Cadillacs were quite

economical for their size, according to reviews of the time.

So admirers need not go away disappointed.  For what

it's worth, here is a picture of my '57:

DSCF5294.JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Cadillac Sedan - "Very original--runs & drives excellent" - Boonton, NJ - Not Mine - 11/18 Deleted
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Cadillac Sedan - "Very original--runs & drives excellent" - Boonton, NJ - Not Mine - 11/18 Deleted - 11/20 BIG Increase & Flipping

On 11/20, Flipper increased price to $40,000 and listed on Facebook:

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/603920614281371/1958-Cadillac  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Seller's Description:

1958 Cadillac 4-door Sedan in Little Falls, NJ

• Excellent condition
  • Driven 80,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Grey · Interior color: White

1958 CADILLAC. A ONE OWNER, DOCUMENTED BEAUTY. GARAGE KEPT ALL ITS LIFE AND WELL TAKEN CARE OF. A TRUE CLASSIC.

image.png.009de6f3c2f968793b0f84dc71ccf396.png

image.png.75ac7cb9cad692674c0a4cc5cd179bfb.png

image.png.4255c2dcbb7d36069a260578be6a4bbf.png

image.png.dcf991753758316114354a2cc3191ae1.png

image.png.bbd8da32c0f29b3d4d7bacd16bf751d6.png

• Haha 2

So the original asking price was $16,500, and the

buyer probably negotiated down from there.  And then

he immediately feels the car is worth $40,000?

I detest greed.  Greed is an evil which does no one any good.

Did the flipper pretend to be a hobbyist, and tell the seller

that he would take good care of the car as his own?  I've heard such.

Further, if he really thought the car was worth close to $40,000,

why didn't he offer the seller more?  Did the flipper want all the

money for himself, not for a long-time owner who might also

need money--and who might be elderly or a widow?

It will be interesting to follow this car, if possible, and see

what happens next.

• Like 3

The first seller did a much better job of staging the car for the pictures.   The current seller couldn’t be bothered to get the car out of his driveway before taking some snaps and reposting with the big price increase.  I guess we can give the flipper credit for not reusing the first sellers pictures.  

40k for a sedan........hope he likes the car. I wouldn’t give 10k. Hell, that’s just me.......but people need to understand the market. There is NO market for sedans of that era.

Give this flipper a year or so when he receives no response, figures out he stuck himself with a car he didn't want.   It will become a misery for him to unload it   In the meantime, better decide he likes it since he will have it for a very long time...

I am so sorry for this "ranting" but I just had to vent

This really gets under my skin and I have been saying this for many years now. These type of people are the ones ruining our "HOBBY"!!!!!!!

When I first began in the "HOBBY" (much longer than I want to admit) there were fewer of these GREEDY so-called "FLIPPERS" and car collecting was more of a "HOBBY". There was a mutual respect for each other in the car collecting hobby and when we sold our car(s) we were almost 100% sure it was going to a person in the "HOBBY" that would enjoy it and take good care of it. We were even prone to sell the car(s) for a modest profit OR a loss knowing it was going to a good home.

Now, with these "so-and-so's" out there, it is more of a "BUSINESS" and that is what is ruining it for our "HOBBY".

I don't begrudge someone buying a car at a great price (I have been fortunate enough to be one of those people several times) and, at the very least, keep the car for a bit and tinker with it. That at least shows the buyer wanted the car(s) and at first bought it to have some fun with it. They may have even made some improvements on it - which means they spent additional money to do so. Then, if circumstances change (found another car, couldn't afford to fix it, etc) it is reasonable to see them sell it. AND, if they make a profit that is great.

I can tell you from my experiences that I have made some money AND I have lost some money selling my cars - sometimes I have lost $1000's when I sold them. BUT, I had the pleasure to own them and mess with them a little. When I sell a car it is usually because of needing space/money for another one - IT IS NEVER JUST FOR FLIPPING !!!!!! I am sure that is true about most of us here on the Forum.

The other thing that drives me crazy is the "pictures of the car(s) on the flippers trailers" and with a bunch of garbage in the car. That just shows me they cannot wait to sell that thing and make the big profit with minimal amount of effort. When I see those "trailer" pictures the FIRST thing that enters my mind is "I wonder how much that guy paid for the car and what is the projected profit margin"

One last thought.

Because of the internet all of these cars for sale are seen by millions of people. So when a "flipper" does what this guy is trying to do they lose a lot of potential customers because we all know how much (approx.) they bought the car for. And we pretty much know what a car is worth and what is a reasonable asking price.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Yes and yes, Joe. The flippers even make it hard to buy an affordable used everyday driver on craigslist for the same reasons. I have brought and sold many motorcycles, to experience the model, bring back to life, add some value, ride and sell for something else. The positive cash flow goes into parts or another aquisition. Hence, an empire is built.

On the flipper side, Once the car is exposed, interested parties google the make and model, and posts like this are found, and the car's out of the bag on the flipper or unscrupulous seller. If the hobby was listed on the stock market, what we state here about this kind of guy, we are essentially "shorting" him.

Notice that the flipper makes the claim that

this is a "one owner" car--a claim which the

previous seller didn't make in his ad!

If this truly had been a one-owner car, the owner

would have had it for 63 years, which is highly

unlikely.  And as Matt Harwood noted above, if it

WAS a one-owner car, it certainly can't be now.

• Like 1