1948 Buick engine enamel color?

I have a 1948 Buick Roadmaster woodie station wagon that I am restoring. Need help on the proper engine enamel color(s)? I have some information stating that the engine is a light blue and the valve cover is a darker blue. Also, that the oil canister is orange. Does anyone have specific information on these colors and where I can obtain the enamels? Thanks.

I guess I'll start off this reply by saying I'm not sure of the absolute correct color, and as to your "drive-er" or "show-er" status of the car...if its a driver, then I would recommend the following : POR 15 has engine paint that I used on my everyday driver...after 1.5 years it is still looking very good and hasn't baked off.. I live in Michigan and drive the truck through all 4 seasons. You have to follow the directions about cleaning, degreasing, and preping closely to get good results. They have general colors for the various years and makes they recommend. If your car is for show...guess I can't help. Good luck

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Dear Mr. '48 Roadmaster Woodie,<P>I have had success in using Cars, Inc. from NJ. engine paints. They are the proper color, and have lasted long, as long as you prep the block properly.<P>Their # is 908/369-3666. <P>According to their catalog, 1942-1952 uses a turquoise paint. It is $15 per qt, or $7.5 per 12oz aerosol.<P>If you are going for authenticity, I would use Cars. I have seen others for a lot more, and the wrong shade as well.<P><BR>I have used the POR products, and they are great, but unless they have the proper color, I would only recommend them for the exhaust manifold,(highly reccomend for the exhaust) or your chassis.<P>As far as I remember the oil canisters I have seen have a blue body, with an orange top. But I would chekc with a few others before determining that.<BR> <BR>Just my 2 cents.<P>Scott Mich BCA #6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter

• 11 years later...
Guest Straight eight

Our 48 Roadmaster delivered new was a blue engine block and valve and tappet cover all the same color. The Buick Dynaflash Eight was in baby blue letters. Very little contrast with the block color.

Here are the colors on the wrong engine.

post-30843-143138994887_thumb.jpg

Edited by Straight eight (see edit history)