Pre-War Spark Plug Cover Year?

kingrudy

With a quick glance, that one looks like the ones I have seen on 1937 and 1938 Buicks. The parts manual indicates the one that is used for 1936, 1937, 1938 & 1939 series 40 also fits 1940 series 40 and 50. If it is the correct length for your car, I think it should be correct for your car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1941 was the first year for the spark plug cover with the flat surface. 40 and back had the curved face, but I believe the correct one for our cars went from '36-'40 and for both Specials and '40 Supers. The flat faced covers fit '41 up& finished out the straight 8 application with only lengths different between large 320" and small (248"&263") If feeble old memory serves!? I'm not that familiar with pre-'36 as I can't get my Buicks done that don't have extensive wood to repair/,Replace and Cudos to those who can and do. PS I've never actually measured them, but I've seen early ones and they look wider across the curved surface. 

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, neil morse said:

It may fit on your '40 248, but I'm pretty sure it's from an earlier year.  Here's what the one on my '41 looks like.

No, The parts manual indicates the one that is used for 1936, 1937, 1938 & 1939 series 40 was also used on 1940 series 40 and 50. That is the correct design for his 1940 Buick 50 Series.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2