47 Ford Woody over heating issues

Brian Dahl

The flathead V8 is a notorious hot-runner due to the design with the exhaust ports exiting through the block.   Make sure the water passages are clean as can be.   Modern cooling system flushes are not effective IMO.  You need an acid to cut though the rust and crud.  The acid was removed from modern flushes because of the preponderance of aluminum and plastic in modern cooling systems.  Maybe something like citric acid that you can get a plumbing supply stores.  Once you run it through the cooling system for maybe like a half hour, flush flush flush, then add some baking soda to neutralize the acid, run it for a while, then flush flush flush! 

Then make sure your carb is not running too lean or too rich.  Too lean and the combustion temp is too high, too rich and the exhaust gas keeps burning in the exhaust manifolds.  Make sure your timing is correct.  Too retarded and the car will run hot.

• Like 2

Hello, I'll tell you what. From personal experience , after new pumps , hoses belts etc. my 52 Merc as still running a little warm. I bought and installed a new radiator cap and she's been fine ever since. Even during this past hot summer!

16 hours ago, Gronk said:

Hello, I'll tell you what. From personal experience , after new pumps , hoses belts etc. my 52 Merc as still running a little warm. I bought and installed a new radiator cap and she's been fine ever since. Even during this past hot summer!

Higher the pressure is in the cooling system the higher the boiling point.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A good pressure cap is required on the 1949-1953 Fords and Mercurys due to the design of the cooling system. Without pressure the coolant gets hot spots that cause overheating. The 1947 engine does not have that problem.

If you are having problems when driving down the highway, you need to clean your cooling system. If you are having problems in traffic, your fan is not performing as designed. An aluminum radiator will solve your problem only if your original radiator was plugged. Worn water pumps can cause foaming in the antifreeze, so they are a good fix.

If you have a clean system, good water pumps, correct thermostats and a good 4lb radiator cap, you should not have any overheating problems.

• Like 1