The 20th Century Fox Locomobile Sedan

Ittenbacher Frank

44 minutes ago, Terry Harper said:

Architectural appreciation is something we as a society really need. My wife and I play a a game we call "Burn or No Burn" as we ride around. Usually the "burn list" is filled with once fine buildings destroyed by "improvements". I remember well the numerous times potential clients would ask me to design a house for them. Invariable I would get all excited thinking of the amazing possibilities ... then, come the initial meeting they would drop the bomb telling me they purchased plans on-line and just need a few modifications. Also invariably those plans they bought were for a mundane, boring, box... .sigh.........

I used to subscribe to Old House Journal which had a feature page every month called "Remuddling of the Month,"  "remuddling" being a play on the word "remodeling."  ROTM showed an historic house which had been externally "remuddled" into a travesty, and a photo of an un-remuddled house of the same design was posted with it.  There is a definite parallel with some of the "remuddling" of historic vehicles by customizers, but I will say that many vehicles which got The Treatment came out far better than the houses....

• Like 2

I found another three Sedans.

One is hiding behind other Locos during an exhibition. A Sedan with sunshade, bumper and cylindrical headlamps. The photo was shown in this forum before and described with the comment "I  suspect this was taken at the 1924/1925 Locomobile display at the New York Salon held in the Ballroom of the Commodore Hotel"

The next one was seen at an exhibition in the 1960s. Sunshade and old style fenders, special headlamps and vertical bars added to the factory bumper.

The third Sedan is shown on a cigarette collection card, issued by the Imperial Tobacco Co. of Canada Ltd., Montreal, after 1922.

1920 model 48 showroom.jpg

1920 Sedan in showroom ca 1920.jpg

8.jpg

9 opt nur Loco.jpeg

9 opt nur text2.jpeg

I believe that the car on exhibition in the 2nd photo was taken at the annual AACA Fall meet in Hershey ,Pa.  I believe that is the stadium in the back ground. Perhaps there is a listing of cars that attended that particular meet - you would need to be more specific as to year to get any help.. A blanket open ended question of "tell me what Hershey meet this is ?" won't work, you need to support the inquiry with additional details to narrow it down.

I looked at the two portfolio's of sales plates I have for Locomoile of that era and all the body styles show are touring cars, town cars with  one roadster. The NY City Locomobile dealership showroom album of huge linen backed photographs is the same , no sedans/limousines shown. I may have some 8 x 10 period prints of body styles that show a sedan but have no time currently to spend hours looking for that to see if any show what you seek.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice pictures.  The front seat from the 1925 Demarest Limousine is trimmed out very similar to the seat shown in this now located in Europe Locmobile.  I now have some food for thought as I consider replacing some of the missing window trim that needs my attention.  What is the nickel plated bracket that is just forward of the door opening?

Al

Dear Al, these photos are still on the internet after so many years. The previous owner who deceased in 2011 had an officially registered car dealer business. For many years his two Locos were belonging to this company, but at a certain time he put them up for sale in the internet, after that they were back in his private property. I was told he never really intended to ever sell them.

The small plate in front of the drivers door is for the door lock! There is one on each of the four doors, all operate independently with the same key! Three had the spring loaded cover, but the driver door was broken off. I guess such damage happens when a car is used in the film business...

I remade the cover from a piece of brass, used silver-solder for attaching it to the hinge, then got it nickel-plated, now it is working again and looks the same as the other three.

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_6787.JPG

IMG_6797.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello George,

That is an interesting note about Locke building Locomobile bodies as designed by DeCausse.  Hmmmm, I guess that could be a reason why so many of the early to mid 20's Locomobile's had some very distinct similarities even though built by different body builders.

Al

17 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Frank, Nice work on the lock.  Did you complete your own Nickel Plating?  I am getting set up to do my own Nickel bright-work as I have a huge amount of nickel to redo on the Demarest Limousine. 

Al

No, a friend who's life is dedicated to Norton did the plating for me, together with his motorcycle parts. He can only do very small parts.

On 2/16/2022 at 4:59 AM, George K said:

Looking through some  photos. I came across this. Early 1920’s915CC8EB-0E8A-4043-B327-DFA6CA934277.jpeg.c6d454d04c134c5ed42c6fb3de201653.jpeg

George, that little photo contains very valuable information for me!

- under Durant = after 1922

- the early chassis is shown, without front braks and all four doors open to the front

- my jump seats are shown!

- I thought my body was made by Brewster, but I found no evidence. Now I shall start looking for Locke, too!

Could you pls. tell me the excact name and year of that book?

Thanks and best regards! Frank