1948 champion breaks

I purchased a 1948 Studebaker champion. Got it home yesterday, and the front brakes are locked up. I’m not sure how to adjust the shoes in. So the drums will turn. The car has what looks like new shoes and wheel cylinders.  All of the clips seam to be in correctly. I have the break drum off of the right front , I used a hammer to lightly tap it off.

Can someone help me please? Thank you very much !

Dennis

You need the '48 Studebaker Shop Manual, as this will not be the only task you will be attending to.

Available in print or in CD-ROM from many of our Studebaker vendors. www.studebakervendors.com

Image.jpg

I have an appointment to get it inspected Tuesday. I need to try to solve it by then. I will get a manual but I just got it the other day. Thanks for the information, but do you think that maybe the older gentleman who put the breaks on did it incorrectly? Everything thing else seams to work correctly.

Please let me know.
Thanks 

Dennis

Dennis,

I don't have the manual for '48, otherwise I would scan and post the applicable page(s).

I suspect, if you post in the "Tech Talk" section of the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum and let them know you are under a schedule, someone there may do that.  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/

What I do have is the Manual for 1951; but I don't know if they would be the same.

Posted here in case it may help. Perhaps someone else can verify if it applies or not.

Image.jpg

Image (2).jpg

Image (3).jpg

Image (4).jpg

Edited by starlightcoupe (see edit history)

A couple of comments were made in response to a post I made to the SDC Forum regarding your issue.

"There might be some lining size differences, but the design is the same [as '51]. " --Roy Yost

"Move the eccentric adjusters equally in toward the wheel cylinder until the wheel turns. Then adjust one at a time until a little drag is felt. The adjustment for these brakes is tricky and in the service manual but until he gets that this should free up the brakes. If that doesn't help, the wheel cylinders may be corroded and frozen in an energized position from being in storage. Water accumulates in brake fluid and it could have the WC pistons rusted and stuck " --William Nixon

Thanks. The cylinders look new, but could be stuck from sitting. I have a account on sdc but for some reason I can’t get logged in. I have contacted them. I will look again in the morning and order a manual.
When I turn the adjusters I don’t see the shoe move at all. Maybe the cylinders are stuck. Thanks for all of your help!! And thanks posting it for me on SDC. Dennis 

On 11/7/2021 at 3:30 PM, 1953 GMC Hydra-Matic said:

Thanks. The cylinders look new, but could be stuck from sitting. I have a account on sdc but for some reason I can’t get logged in. I have contacted them. I will look again in the morning and order a manual.
When I turn the adjusters I don’t see the shoe move at all. Maybe the cylinders are stuck. Thanks for all of your help!! And thanks posting it for me on SDC. Dennis 

I don't think this era Champion has adjusters to turn.  Do your brakes look like the ones shown in the manual?  They should.  Are your wheels 4 lug?

Yes they have 4 lugs. I did get the wheels to finally move. I taped off the drum so I could see what was going on. I took the  right wheel cylinder apart and checked it out. Not rusted. Now I am going to bleed the breaks and see what happens. Newer shoes and cylinders. Break fluid looks good but I am going to flush it. I have ordered the manual. The kinda reminds me of the breaks on our 36 Dictator Coupe.

Thanks 

Dennis 

1947 had a couple of tiny parts, and just a few slight differences  compared to 49, 50 and 51.   They actually deleted them because they were problematic.  If you get the 1947 parts book, you can compare to the later type and see what was done with yours.  .