Mouse urine smell eliminator?

R Walling

Have you tried chemicals made to get rid of pet odor from carpet? I had a car in storage and the interior was covered in mold. I did a thorough cleaning and put in a couple of small buckets with a gel like substance that acted like an odor eater. I think I got the stuff from lowes. I apologize as it has been awhile and I dont know the name of the stuff.

• Like 1

I bought a car with bad mice infestation. I stripped interior down to bare metal, washed metal multiple times with all kinds of cleaners, replaced entire interior with brand new including heat/sound insulation, stuffed car air fresheners behind the dash, and I still can smell it😠, I could smell it on bare metal right after cleaner dries out.

• Like 1

Ed has the best cure. Paint over it or use some other type of sealer. A neighbor had a house fire in the ceiling. I inquired as to how the would get rid of the smell. They said they would paint over everything including the rafters. Must have worked as people are still living there and that was years ago. 

• Like 1

I got the moth ball smell out of the 38 by using an ozone machine. They use these to get the smoke smell out of houses, cloths and furniture after a fire. Don’t know if it works on mice pee but it was a cheap rental to use. 
dave s 

I worked for a transport company A container load of hides was brought in from Brazil. The smell was terrible. The container was steam washed . Nothing doing. A few pounds of raw coffee did the job. If the smell penetrated the wood you have no choice but to replace.

Mouse urine is particularly nasty and I have a bad reaction to it. If I get exposed to the odour, it somehow locks up on the olfactory receptors in my sinuses and that is all I can smell for about 3 weeks. I REALLY hate that stuff. 😝

I think there is a product designed to deal with pet urine. There used to be one called Urine Erase I think but I don't know if it is still available. 

For wood parts that have been urine soaked..Scrape away all crud..Wash with vinegar and water solution .When dried well

,coat with a  thinned down (wash sealer coat)  of orange shellac..

Having been a piano rebuilder and restorer for 33 years.This is what worked .

Metal work can also be washed with vinegar and water solution.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JACK M said:

So,  coffee and vanilla always seem to go together well.

The mice will be wide awake.

All we need are some tom cats strung out on crystal meth and it has the makings of a B rated sci-fi movie, that stinks , I know bad joke

• Haha 1

There were some rodents in my T- Bird at one time, but I can't say what kind. The vinyl prep solution for SEM vinyl coloring seemed to get rid of whatever musty smell was in the headliner and seats, but I don't know if it was a rodent odor I was smelling. There was also a cleaner I used before applying the prep and the coloring, but I can't remember what it was. I know part of the early cleaning process involved some sort of detergent like Dawn. If it's in the carpet the best solution may be a new carpet and underlay.

I should say that I always put Bounce dryer sheets in my cars over the winter to keep away mice. I don't know if that actually works, but the scent of the dryer sheets stays in the car a very long time so that might be a cheap and easy way to get rid of the smell (??)

Products mentioned such as charcoal, vanilla,  fabric softener and coffee grounds placed in proximity to where the mouse urine is present might mask or absorb the odor, but none of them attack the source of the smell which can emanate for years.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 2:23 PM, Fossil said:

Ed has the best cure. Paint over it or use some other type of sealer. A neighbor had a house fire in the ceiling. I inquired as to how the would get rid of the smell. They said they would paint over everything including the rafters. Must have worked as people are still living there and that was years ago. 

Might not be a bad idea. I have done my share of 'fire jobs'. Not fun. For wood that is not structurally damaged but just smoked, we would paint it liberally with something like 'kilz'. I have heard that plane old varnish will do the same, which is what the old kilz basically was. It will seal the stain as well as smell.

Somewhat related, my wife spilled a half gallon of milk in her then brand new Fiero. I didnt take pass. seat out but prob. should have. I soaked everything up as well as I could, cleaned then cleaned some more. That poor car smelled of sour milk for months before it finally just went away. I dont think the urine smell will just dissolve over time though.

• Like 1