1965 Transmission leak - FIXED !

phoemsen

After replacing the speedo cable last year, I noticed an increase in tranny fluid puddles on the floor. I would just throw down some zorb-all and a couple pads to sop it up during storage.

A couple of weeks ago, I took it into a reputable shop to have it fixed. I explained to the owner how I wasn't comfortable dropping it off and leaving it all day, he said if I was there exactly at 8 am, he would free up a hoist for me.

They dropped the pan and cleaned all the oil that had sprayed everywhere. When they pulled the gear assembly for the speedo cable, they noticed the little orange o-ring had a crack in it! They replaced this and put a new paper (not cork) gasket on the pan.

I am happy to report that there is no more oil on the floor! Best $96 CDN I ever spent! That's about $77 US.

Am I the only one that procrastinates little repairs like this? This was a small investment in time and resources, but it had a very rewarding outcome.

image.png.60f4fbc17a9064793debb22eb7163072.png

Very, very typical for the speedo adapter to be the source of a leak...in addition to the inside o ring you mentioned there is also an o-ring around the outer perimeter of the housing which should be replaced...about $8 in parts? I do them frequently.

Tom

1 hour ago, phoemsen said:

After replacing the speedo cable last year, I noticed an increase in tranny fluid puddles on the floor. I would just throw down some zorb-all and a couple pads to sop it up during storage.

A couple of weeks ago, I took it into a reputable shop to have it fixed. I explained to the owner how I wasn't comfortable dropping it off and leaving it all day, he said if I was there exactly at 8 am, he would free up a hoist for me.

They dropped the pan and cleaned all the oil that had sprayed everywhere. When they pulled the gear assembly for the speedo cable, they noticed the little orange o-ring had a crack in it! They replaced this and put a new paper (not cork) gasket on the pan.

I am happy to report that there is no more oil on the floor! Best $96 CDN I ever spent! That's about $77 US.

Am I the only one that procrastinates little repairs like this? This was a small investment in time and resources, but it had a very rewarding outcome.

image.png.60f4fbc17a9064793debb22eb7163072.png

• Like 1