For Sale: 1940 Buick Super Coupe - "Selling Inheritance" - Levittown, PA - Not Mine - 1/6 SOLD!

6T-FinSeeker

For sale on Facebook: 1940 Buick Super Coupe in Levittown, PA  -  $15,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/416609903358622/1940-Buick-Super-Coupe

Seller's Description:

1940 Buick Super Coupe

• Driven 4,280 miles
  • Manual transmission
  • Exterior color: Black

1940 Buick Super · Coupe · Driven 4,280 miles

• Hello. We have inherited this beauty we are looking to sell. We are willing to negotiate price, low offers will not be accepted please. Please pm me for further details and I will have my husband respond or just pm me your name and number and I will have him call you because he knows all the information.
  • This is a 1940 Buick super 8 cylinder. 3 speed on the colum. Not automatic. This car is nice! Turn key fires right up! Driven around the section on weekends just so it's not just sitting. If you don't get a response back within an hour, please comment on this post so I can get right back to you.

Please don't waste my time with your no shows. I'm very understandable that stuff happens, but I think it's rude when no call or no show. Thank you for your understanding.

image.png.3b337bc0d530192807312919a854577e.png

image.png.b54089b2016b402594787f69902bc596.png

image.png.83917291a746a1de3905755ec575022c.png

image.png.d80f467439c0f79303ea7e381a637781.png

image.png.35355e4370f368b226d168bfe9f516ef.png

image.png.25cdfc8f4138cfc84229d282da877882.png

image.png.d2d729c65e0013a80c16b4c870aa48e4.png

image.png.7f6e7b2b83824d3b39f6aa6bdeef47e5.png

image.png.2277958cc283574d43568ac4d926d95a.png

image.png.6306c31b86d86068b9853b4f393be537.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I like these cars; Buicks from '37 to 40! Lots to evaluate on these because of the age. The prices on these are all over the map. However this one is on lower end. No room for it. GLWTS.

• Like 1

Nice car.  May be a good driver for the money

Alternator so probably 12 volt.

Engine is 1948 or later as has the block side mounts (4 bolts)

That "extra" ooga horn! (looks to be falling off, so easy to remove)

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like it has the air cleaner from a 320. Also looks like some of the wiring has been redone. Most of these cars have not been rewired and it is not cheap to do right.  I'm a big fan of this car, but I don't need two. If any one is interested in this car pm me  and can tell you what to look for and what things are unobtanium on this car. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The wiring on these cars in my opinion is one of the most over looked things on old cars.  And as previously stated to re-wire a car is expensive and to do it right is time consuming.  Those old cloth covered wires may look good but are brittle!  If you took one of those brittle wires and bent it (they were pliable when new) about 45 degrees I bet the wire would snap in a puff of dust. Additionally the corrosion and rusty parts in the engine compartment make me wonder what the undercarriage looks like. As I said lots of things to evaluate on these cars.  However the exterior color combination looks rear nice and the price is decent and negotiable as well. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Way too much money in my opinion.  To fix all of the things you can see in the pictures would cost $10-15,000 dollars and when you got done you might have a $20,000 car if the paint shines up okay.  Also, it has 15-inch wheels on it, I'm sure.  That was common practice in the early 1950s, but just finding the right wheels would cost you $1200-1500 and then you'd have to buy a set of 6.50x16 tires.

But, all unrestored cars are way too much money.  People never realize how much money they will lose when they go to sell a car they've just restored.  But, if you want a nice 1940 56S then this certainly is a nice car to start on.   Or, you can just drive it around to local cruise-ins if they have those where you live.  The first thing a street-rodder at one of those will ask is, "When are you going to put a 350 in this thing?"  That always makes you feel great....been there and done that here in Florida.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I just noticed two accessories that are difficult to find. The Rear Gravel Deflector is a part that was an option on this year that is very difficult to find and if you do it won't be in good condition. This fills the gap in between the trunk and rear bumper ( I've been looking for this part for seven years. The Fulton visor is another rare part that is expensive to buy if you are looking for it. Dynaflash is correct about the wiring that needs to be done. I rewired my car with a harness from YnZ in California. Just the material was $3500 as I recall, but the instructions were fantastic and the support from the company was awesome. 

If there is little to no rust, I don't think that the price is way out of line. IMO the "C" body cars that were introduced in 1940 are very beautiful. I get many compliments on my Super and I have had a couple of offers, but the car is not for sale. 

The down side to this car is that it is the first year for the 50 series and the torpedo body style therefore many parts are one year only Super and Roadmaster. So if you need to replace the window winder for example  only a winder from a Roadmaster, or Super Coupe will work. 

• Thanks 1

Mike and Earl have sage advice as owners of these particular cars.  If you get a car that has all the proper pieces and they are in good-excellent shape ( no pitting to the parking light housings on the top of the fenders etc) you will have an excellent road car besides one that is just beautiful.  I have owned a 1940 Roadmaster for many years and after I bought it was fortunate enough to have Doug Seybold go through it and do all it needed mechanically and correct /restore some things that had been changed/added over the years. He saw my car before I did - I live on the east coast and the car was found /bought on the west coast and inspected there by a friend for me!

• Like 2

Beautiful Buick.  

Not every car has to be "RESTORED" to original.  If this car is running , good enough, IMO.  Will make a good driver for someone.

I do believe I can rewire cheaper than $3500!  Perhaps not original, but well done . 

Of course, to some on here I am a "hack", whatever that is.   

Just my .02.

Ben

• Like 4

On 11/13/2021 at 1:24 PM, kingrudy said:

I just noticed two accessories that are difficult to find. The Rear Gravel Deflector is a part that was an option on this year that is very difficult to find and if you do it won't be in good condition. This fills the gap in between the trunk and rear bumper ( I've been looking for this part for seven years. The Fulton visor is another rare part that is expensive to buy if you are looking for it. Dynaflash is correct about the wiring that needs to be done. I rewired my car with a harness from YnZ in California. Just the material was $3500 as I recall, but the instructions were fantastic and the support from the company was awesome. 

If there is little to no rust, I don't think that the price is way out of line. IMO the "C" body cars that were introduced in 1940 are very beautiful. I get many compliments on my Super and I have had a couple of offers, but the car is not for sale. 

The down side to this car is that it is the first year for the 50 series and the torpedo body style therefore many parts are one year only Super and Roadmaster. So if you need to replace the window winder for example  only a winder from a Roadmaster, or Super Coupe will work. 

Been collecting and restoring 1935-1948 Buicks for 67 years, and I do not believe the rear gravel pan was an accessory, but instead, a standard standard equipment all these Buicks.  Prior to 1940 they were painted black and most were under the bumper bars.  Window winders did vary, for example in 1939 the Special was all plastic knobs and the Century and above were plastic wrapped in chrome with the plastic showing in the middle

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Been collecting and restoring 1935-1948 Buicks for 67 years, and I do not believe the rear gravel pan was an accessory, but instead, a standard standard equipment all these Buicks.  Prior to 1940 they were painted black and most were under the bumper bars.  Window winders did vary, for example in 1939 the Special was all plastic knobs and the Century and above were plastic wrapped in chrome with the plastic showing in the middle

I misspoke regarding the winder ( please accept my apology), I meant "window regulator", which is specific to the 56 and 76 models. Pretty certain of this as this is what it states in the parts manual. As to the "gravel deflector", parts manual refers to this part 7.833 (1317121) for extreme gravel conditions. I have been searching for this part for the last six years with very little luck!  If you happen to see one of these, please drop me a line. Congratulations on a long running and successful run in this hobby.

Mike 

3 hours ago, kingrudy said:

I misspoke regarding the winder ( please accept my apology), I meant "window regulator", which is specific to the 56 and 76 models. Pretty certain of this as this is what it states in the parts manual. As to the "gravel deflector", parts manual refers to this part 7.833 (1317121) for extreme gravel conditions. I have been searching for this part for the last six years with very little luck!  If you happen to see one of these, please drop me a line. Congratulations on a long running and successful run in this hobby.

Mike 

Mike, There is a guy in Arkansas who makes the rear gravel pans for 1939, and advertises them in the Buick Club national magazine.  I don't know if he makes them for 1940 Super and Roadmaster or not.  The 1940 Special pan is almost the same as the 1939, except the '39 is in two pieces and the '40 is not.  Plus the '39 has a wide diamond design while the '40 has a rectangle design.  You could also try Dave Tachney in Minnesota (763-427-3460) 4-7 PM Central time.  For my part, I've never seen an original, undisturbed 1939 or 1940 Buick without a rear bumper pan, so a person must have had to specifically not order one.  Just my thought on that subject.  I'm 83 and been chasing pre-war Buicks since I was 16.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Mike, There is a guy in Arkansas who makes the rear gravel pans for 1939, and advertises them in the Buick Club national magazine.  I don't know if he makes them for 1940 Super and Roadmaster or not.  The 1940 Special pan is almost the same as the 1939, except the '39 is in two pieces and the '40 is not.  Plus the '39 has a wide diamond design while the '40 has a rectangle design.  You could try Dave Tachney in Minnesota (763-427-3460) 4-7 PM Central time.

I tried that route a couple of years ago, but the ones he was making at the time only fit the 40 and 60 cars. I believe that he has since stopped production, also tried Dave with no luck, he stated that he did not deal too much in the 1940's. I also tried Doug Seybold and he has one, but the price was quite high and the condition was suspect. I have purchased some parts from Doug after all hope is gone, but I am not there yet (he is a real nice guy though). Thank you for the reply. 

Mike 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingrudy said:

I tried that route a couple of years ago, but the ones he was making at the time only fit the 40 and 60 cars. I believe that he has since stopped production, also tried Dave with no luck, he stated that he did not deal too much in the 1940's. I also tried Doug Seybold and he has one, but the price was quite high and the condition was suspect. I have purchased some parts from Doug after all hope is gone, but I am not there yet (he is a real nice guy though). Thank you for the reply. 

Mike 

Okay, I didn't think of Seybold, but I understand where you're coming from.  Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, especially after 7 years. Just keep looking on eBay.  I can't think of anybody else to try at the moment.  There is a guy on here who came to my house once, who is restoring a rough '40 Roadmaster convertible.  I have to see his name to remember it.....maybe he'll see this.  He also had a parts car I recall.  Many years ago when I was selling parts and cleaning out dealer attics I had one of those pans, NOS.  I guess that's enough to make you cry, huh?  Good luck.

1 minute ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Okay, I didn't think of Seybold, but I understand where you're coming from.  Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, especially after 7 years. Just keep looking on eBay.  I can't think of anybody else to try at the moment.  There is a guy on here who came to my house once, who is restoring a rough '40 Roadmaster convertible.  I have to see his name to remember it.....maybe he'll see this.  He also had a parts car I recall.  Many years ago when I was selling parts and cleaning out dealer attics I had one of those pans, NOS.  I guess that's enough to make you cry, huh?  Good luck.

Yup, I think you hit the nail on the head, after 7 years, it becomes a matter of how bad do you really want that part?

Thank you. 

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1940 Buick Super Coupe - "Selling Inheritance" - Levittown, PA - Not Mine - 1/6 SOLD!