For Sale: 1952 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Hardtop - "Second owner, Garage kept most of life" - Grantville, PA - Not Mine - 12/1 Reduced - 1/16/22 SOLD! - 5/7 For Sale in CT - 5/17 Reduced - 5/22 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1952 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday 2-door Hardtop in Grantville, PA  -  $22,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 12/1, Seller reduced price to $17,000 OBO

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/211149741085224/1952-Oldsmobile-98-Holiday-Hardtop

Seller's Description:

1952 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday 2-door Hardtop

• 2 owners
  • Driven 81,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Blue

I'm the second owner. I bought to fix and sell. Original owner bought it new after coming back from Korea and he took good care of it. This vehicle has been garage kept almost all its life, you're not going to find a more solid car this age anywhere. 99% complete. Missing trunk mat. Starts, drives, stops. Obo

image.png.18b7fbacde9a238c20506655985291b6.png

image.png.792b0b6f8c023026cc1fa02dab9ccf4a.png

image.png.bb6bb55b8895f33eb28f9e8508cfd45a.png

image.png.714b8f580940826f702232a2ec441460.png

image.png.f64c406fec322e1e1731451582094441.png

image.png.0e41ec6494997353aaac6a0caa5865f1.png

image.png.446d12d571b1dbaaf6f00fbe2a71ba26.png

image.png.7ee7bf331a3d84d53d06b50cd7b5b0c7.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Might be a solid car but this one would need a quality repaint to be worth anywhere near the seller's asking price. 1950 Oldsmobile hardtops, coupes & convertibles were always hot items but IMO the 1951 and 1952 models never seemed to be quite as collectible. 1952 was the first year power steering was available in an Olds but this 98 doesn't have it. 

• Like 1

I feel like the seller having someone give this a good once over, cut and buff could do alot for this car. The repainted door makes the rest of what seems like a pretty honest car, look a little dingy and in worse shape than it probably is, i think. I've always held a pretty big bias for the Oldsmobile, Buick and Pontiac GM brands, but i would expect this to be a mid to high teens priced car. Cars like this, that someone can get into and be driving reliably with a $15grand'ish budget, and without having to do a total rebuild on, is a great car to get into the hobby, while also being contemporary enough to not have much trouble driving around and enjoying.

Plus, for a post war car, hard to find many better looking cars than any '49-'52 GM in my very biased opinion!

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)
  • Like 3

My first car was a 55 Olds and there was a lot to like about that car (similar style, three years apart). I loved that car, drove like a dream. You see a lot of early Olds four doors, bur far less of the two doors. Those cars usually draw 12 to 14K in fair shape. This two door hard top might be worth the money to the right person. If it was a 98, I would say no doubt. 

Edited by kingrudy
Clarity (see edit history)

1 hour ago, kingrudy said:

My first car was a 55 Olds and there was a lot to like about that car (similar style, three years apart). I loved that car, drove like a dream. You see a lot of early Olds four doors, bur far less of the two doors. Those cars usually draw 12 to 14K in fair shape. This two door hard top might be worth the money to the right person.

If it was a 98, I would say no doubt. 

It IS a 98 Holiday 2-door Hardtop! 👍

11 hours ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

It IS a 98 Holiday 2-door Hardtop! 👍

I was looking for the 98 badge in all the pics and the only one I saw was on the side and it was not too clear. I think the price is worth it for a car you don't see too often. The first sentence would have been a good tip - duh. 

Edited by kingrudy
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1952 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Hardtop - "Second Owner, Garage Kept almost all its Life" - Grantville, PA - Not Mine - 12/1 Reduced

Now that's a nice driver quality Oldsmobile!  

It does come with some hesitation though; the driver's door sill looks awful.  The paint on the right side fender and quarter panel seems to has surface rust bleeding through them.  But pictures are deceiving so whoever winds up buying this better look hard for rust especially on the left lower rocker!

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This one - to me - is in no man's (or woman's) land.  We agree it is nice to see a rare early 50's flagship hardtop from Oldsmobile, and it's a driver.   But some comments would lead one to think we agree it needs fresh paint.  BUT, correctly done with all that stainless and bumpers removed, I'll bet a nice paint job would be $15,000.  And you would want a reputable shop so they don't bail half way through.  

Then the chrome is going to look tired next to that new paint, and the interior.   And 81,000 miles is low for today's tight vehicles but unless maintenance has been done on the suspension, brakes, engine etc, planned obsolescence was 50,000 miles in 1952.  The seller is spot on - he bought it to fix up and improve but is not going to. 

I see a lot of ads from buyers who bought cars out of estate situations and I always think "why can't I be that guy?"  Because you know they were in the right place at the right time and offered a seemingly low ball offer.   The seller has adjusted the price from $22,500 down to $17,000 and we know NOBODY wants to lose money in this hobby, so I must believe the seller has still much less in this purchase. 

To me, if the next owner can get it for $10,000 he has likely purchased correctly.  That might seem like a low ball offer in this super-inflated market but remember much of the pricing we are seeing across the board is funny money - sellers coming out of the Pandemic putting $22,000 to $40,000 on just about anything.  

But realistically if purchased for $10,000 with an eye on new paint and maintenance, an owner should end up where the original asking price is, maybe a bit more, and have a time capsule with new paint.   Then just enjoy the car, cruise nights, hobby events for several years.  

I helped out as a volunteer at an Oldsmobile National Meet once and I don't remember even seeing a 1951-1954 Oldsmobile at their national meet mind you.  

• Like 1

I think it just looks bad with the doors repainted and the rest not. Still worth 15 grand, I think. 10 is a really low ball offer. Only the lower body seems to need paint, the roof has been done already. Difficult to say what the current owner did to the car. I would have at least cleaned and repaint the air cleaner.  The driver side front floor looks amazing. And the picture with the holiday logo is really great. 

Nevertheless, to me the 1950-1953  Cadillacs and Buicks are more easy on the eye. 

Maybe $10K-$12K would be more of a real world selling price and a fair offer with all the cosmetic & detail work this car needs. As stated before 1951-1952 Oldsmobiles aren't the most popular years IMO. I also believe the 88 series Oldsmobiles are more favored among collectors than the 98s. There are plenty of 1951-1954 Oldsmobiles still out there and certainly no shortage of 1953s & 1954s of any model. 

• Thanks 1

This all depends what the buyer wants to do with it; keep as a driver or make into a show car...

If the buyer get the price down to 12 - 15 grand and barring no bad problems, repair the door sill/rocker (possible metal work) and paint the lower paint the lower part of car and leave the upper dark alone.  Now you have yourself a nice driver.

If you have show car aspirations, well we all know that's a financial hole. but go ahead open your wallet and re-chrome everything and repaint the car etc, etc, etc!

Still dubious there is rust issues that will sabotage it either way you go.

Remember this; it's an old car and old car undoubtedly will have issues!

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I'm looking at the picture with the driver's door open and wondering if that dripping black stuff on top of the rocker panel isn't rust but some kind of stain or something that kinda melted there. Maybe it's dissolved exterior door weather stripping or glue or something that leeched out the bottom of the drain holes on the bottom of the door. Anyway I would try to clean it off with some solvent or lacquer thinner as that might get rid of it, whatever it is. Also I'm pretty sure some parts on the top of the engine were removed at some point (the valve covers & intake anyway, can't see enough to tell if the heads were off), cleaned up and replaced without being painted. I say this because the intake bolt with the hole in the top (at the front closest to the temp sender) belongs in the back of the engine as the rear spark plug wire holder is supposed to attach  to it. If anyone inquires about the car they might want to ask if anything was done to the engine as it looks pretty clean for a car with 81K miles on it. 

• Thanks 1

I sure understand your point Mr 55er, as to doing the paint right there is a fair amount of stainless and chrome to be removed to do the paint right and while the chrome and stainless is off, why not refurbish this. That having been said, if all this was done you would probably would be underwater on this car, but you just don't see a lot of these 98 two door hard tops around. If it was done right I don't think you would have trouble finding a buyer, but at that point I don't think you would want to sell it. 

Edited by kingrudy
Punctuation (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1952 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Hardtop - "Second Owner, Garage Kept almost all its Life" - Grantville, PA - Not Mine - 12/1 Reduced - 1/16/22 SOLD!
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1952 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Hardtop - "Second owner, Garage Kept most of its life" - Grantville, PA - Not Mine - 12/1 Reduced - 1/16/22 SOLD! - 5/7 Improved and For Sale in CT

On 5/7, Flipper listed for sale on Facebook: 1952 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday 2-door Hardtop in Trumbull, CT  -  $23,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 5/17, Seller reduced price to $21,000

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1171769406730095/1952-Oldsmobile-98-Holiday-Hardtop

Seller's Description:

1952 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday 2-door Hardtop

• 2 owners
  • Driven 81,865 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Blue · Interior color: Blue

1952 Olds Holiday Hardtop 2 door coupe - Amazing survivor condition out of long storage, maintains mostly original paint, stainless is all in great condition, chrome shows very well.

• Never had any rust or bondo, the floors and frame are very nice.
  • Has its original 303 rocket V8 and auto transmission and original 6 volt system, car runs and drives very well.
  • Power hydraulic window and seat cylinders were all replaced and work.
  • Radio, lights, turn signals, horn, wipers, heater, brake lights all work.
  • New brakes, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and rubber lines.

Message me with any questions, send your phone number and I will call you back

• Have Pennsylvania title
  • Located in Trumbull Ct, 06611

image.png.a5a572a16f2719389fc66792b4025c0f.png

image.png.a54704d5c69179a81cbbbe631321f742.png

image.png.61ca5fccfba8e0f12d9d951d4b09924f.png

image.png.2c350cb353da9f0187f3ec7b1840b387.png

image.png.c16a8b096544fcdb95e99a5dcc056a86.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update price (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1952 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Hardtop - "Second owner, Garage kept most of life" - Grantville, PA - Not Mine - 12/1 Reduced - 1/16/22 SOLD! - 5/7 Improved and For Sale in CT

At least this seller took it off the trailer and did some work on it before flipping it. Although I kind of miss the usual gas station, at night, photos. 

It cleaned up nicely but I’m glad I saw the before pics. That passenger quarter panel rust will come back. And I think they wasted money on the new upholstery - why not spend a little more and keep it looking original? 

I can learn from this seller’s photo skills. They make the car look great. I will be near Trumbull today and I’m tempted to stop in and check the car out. Just to see reality vs the pics. But I guess I’m not curious enough. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Wish they had done the interior over correctly.

OMG, he removed that original cloth and leather and put in all vinyl???   

That's the equivalent of painting it at Earl Schieb!  

Over the dents!  Yuck!! 

4 hours ago, Gearheadengineer said:

And I think they wasted money on the new upholstery - why not spend a little more and keep it looking original? 

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Wish they had done the interior over correctly.  The all blue looks kind of cheap to me.  I almost would have left the original interior and just sold it a little cheaper. 

I agree wholeheartedly.  The original interior looked okay.

Wouldn't people rather see what Oldsmobile did in 1952,

more than what Bill's Upholstery Shop did in 2022?

I recommend:  Do something correctly and do it well,

or don't do it at all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In the new seller's eyes (how many people can be the second owner?) he improved the car for resale. The engine compartment is nicely detailed and the carpet has been replaced, however the trunk "mat" is incorrect, it should match the rest of the trunk fabric. I agree the new interior is way wrong and IMO detracts somewhat from the rest of the car. The paint is touched up and buffed, it looks better in the small pics that people see on a computer but it's possible it (along with the frayed rear fender welt) will display a lot of tiny flaws that won't pass inspection in person on a $23K car. It will be interesting to see if these fix-ups were worth the effort to get the car sold at the flipper's new higher price. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1952 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Hardtop - "Second owner, Garage kept most of life" - Grantville, PA - Not Mine - 12/1 Reduced - 1/16/22 SOLD! - 5/7 For Sale in CT - 5/17 Reduced - 5/22 SOLD!