1931 AA

Thank you! I'm going to restore it back to "Orange field" condition. It drives great but it needs new tires and seats to make it comfortable for cruising around. I will need to restore the steering wheel as well. The desert sun hasn't been kind to it. I also want to find a higher gear rear end since it tops out at about 35. The bed and stakes are all complete but new wood will really make a difference.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zeke01 said:

Before you expend a lot of energy looking for a rear end, take a good long look at what is under the hood of your truck. There is no gear set made that will make your truck go faster. Zeke

I'm not sure that is correct as gearing is what is hindering top speed on the big trucks. Yes a poor running engine can be a factor, but only a factor

I was referring to the 40 horsepower engine, the same one used in Model A automobiles. No matter how well the engine runs, it is still 40 horsepower. Besides, what will a different gear set do to the pulling power? If you can't top even a modest hill without gearing down, what have you accomplished?  Zeke

On 10/30/2021 at 8:56 PM, JFranklin said:

I'm not sure that is correct as gearing is what is hindering top speed on the big trucks. Yes a poor running engine can be a factor, but only a factor

I’ve learned what the warranty tag on my 29 DB 3/4 TON truck indicates. These old truck were not intended to be used for fast travel. They were used as an utility of moving goods. When you have a 5.11 rear end ratio you can not expect cruising in traffic at 55 mph. Some folks have invested in the “Mitchell “ transmission assist to get better top speeds. 

You just have to enjoy the journey and ignore the impatient divers.

0DD976F7-B1B2-4867-A5B0-0D104ADB1B66.jpeg.4fda9005e3040945e8c12f6bf686d2e0.jpeg

• Like 1

Correct.  No different than brass car or nickel era touring.  Understanding what was optimum performance for the era helps with your benchmark.  It won't turn your truck into a hemi cuda but several touring engine options exist that might give you a little more performance and not move to the banger hot rod stage. (Banger hot rods are fine if that is thd goal, but my guess iz this AA just wants to move well in the orchard and the open road, not ideal for highway.)

I will say the engine must be taxed on an AA at higher speeds, the 325-ish lb difference between our sedan & roadster makes for a noticeable performance difference.  

Cool trucks though!!