points & condenser for engines

castillo49

Hello Everyone,

Can someone tell me brand, make, or part numbers for points and condensers for these  2 engines. 

1. Down-draft engines - a 1929 series 130 Coupe and a 1929 series 135 Victoria

2. Side draft engines - 1933 Olympic Coupe & 1933 Olympic Sedan

I need to do tune ups and have no extra points or condensers for these engines.  Looking for leads to know what I need and where I can go.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance .... Frank In Southern California

The 50 Chevy 6 cylinder cap and rotor also fit 29 to 31 Franklin.

However, the 32 and later "side wire" type caps of the tower distributors are 15 degrees different. They need to swap the points cam out of a 29-31 distributor to work with the Chevy cap.  

Paul

• 1 year later...

Hi. (Hook)

The numbers NAPA has for condensers and points are different for a 31 Franklin and a 50 Chevy. 
Is that because some '31s had towers (mine is a low distributor) or does this matter, or . . . ?
Any advice would be helpful as scouring the old ACNs and such only reveal obsolete numbers!

There are universal 6volt coils and such, but I can't find any specs on condensers--though one page mentioned .20-.25 microfarads.
Don't mean to overthink it--just want to check!

Thanks

34 minutes ago, ebraysmith said:

Hi. (Hook)

The numbers NAPA has for condensers and points are different for a 31 Franklin and a 50 Chevy. 
Is that because some '31s had towers (mine is a low distributor) or does this matter, or . . . ?
Any advice would be helpful as scouring the old ACNs and such only reveal obsolete numbers!

There are universal 6volt coils and such, but I can't find any specs on condensers--though one page mentioned .20-.25 microfarads.
Don't mean to overthink it--just want to check!

Thanks

The points and condenser are the same for 1929 to '34. They are the same as used in 1948 - '52 Chevy 6 cylinder. 

The difference for the change in 1932 to the tower distributor is only the "side-wire" type cap and rotor. The 32 and later caps are 15 degrees different in where the contacts are located in the cap, and so are the lobes on the breaker point cam shaft. If you use a Chevy cap on a tower distributor, you'll need to swap in the breaker point cam shaft from a 29-31 "low base" distributor, or the spark will happen when the rotor is pointing in between cap contacts instead of lined up with a contact.

If you are lucky enough to find an original side wire cap, the pre 32 rotor will work with it, but you may have to file a bit off the end of the rotor's brass contact arm. In some caps it can hit the contacts inside the cap and break the cap when you start the engine. 

Paul

That's great and reassuring to know--but why would NAPA not cross reference the same condenser (saying they have one for the Chevy but not the Franklin)?  It makes one feel that they are somehow different since they do list the points for a Franklin and a Chevy--but not condensers.

Good to see. Also, good to see that the numbers on top are in the correct firing order for Franklin tower distributors.

Some of the same type caps, that have been available for years, while they will work, are actually for engines with the reverse order (Auburns?) which could mislead some owners when working on the ignition system. 

Paul