Question on finish on an antique fuel measure can

jpage

I have several old fuel measures that I've been restoring and found a 10 gallon can marked AMOCO a few years back. While I believe that most of these cans were unfinished or galvanized, this can showed remnants of dark green paint, which appeared to be original. Can anyone shed any light on whether or not this could be the original color for this can or, what colors AMOCO would have used at that time. Thanks in advance!

Amaco as we know it today, and the logo shown on the samples, were created in 1957. Finding 20s or 30s examples won't be possible. There was an earlier "American Oil Company" but it did not use the name or logo we are most familiar with. How about some photos if what you are working on.

Terry

• Like 1

From what I understand, the American Oil Co. was started in 1889 as part of the Standard Oil Trust. In 1911, the trust was broken up and American Oil became a separate company, with the logo of AMOCO. This is an Ellisco  round fluted can most likely from the '20's or earlier.

3 hours ago, jpage said:

From what I understand, the American Oil Co. was started in 1889 as part of the Standard Oil Trust. In 1911, the trust was broken up and American Oil became a separate company, with the logo of AMOCO. This is an Ellisco  round fluted can most likely from the '20's or earlier.

Info is readily available on several sites showing the history and timeline of the AMACO logos.  

Ellisco has been around a long time and I believe is still in business today.  I don't know how to date the cans though, so figuring that out might be the first step. Remember that an older can could have easily been painted anytime during its lifetime. 

You could probably paint any of the logos on it and make it represent any era you wish.. I believe the green color though is quite specific, known as "AMACO Green".

Still might be helpful to post some pics of your can.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

Here are a couple of references for more detailed info on the logos.  ( Note, the first one is quite specific to logo usage in Vermont)  As you can see, there is quite a variety of dates associated with the different types of logos.

https://glcp.uvm.edu/landscape_new/dating/gas_stations/amoco.php

https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/Amoco

https://logo-timeline.fandom.com/wiki/Amoco

Thanks Terry and 3mac. The can I have is like the yellow one only in 10 gallon. I've seen some with other brand logos on them like  SUNOCO and I also have one like the red and white one. I've also seen the white can style with flutes. I don't know if there is any positive way to date these cans. I did see a guy who has several antique shop locations around Lewistown Pa that carries quite a number of restored fuel and oil cans, many are really nicely done. I was just trying to confirm if the dark green would have been used on an Amoco marked can. I just paint my cans in random company colors but since this is a marked can, I wanted to stay as close to original as possible. I also saw no evidence that this can was galvanized on the outside.