will olds slip yoke fit my pontiac

john hess

hello all. I'm here from the pontiac forum seeking information on a driveshaft dilema I am having. 

I had a new driveshaft made locally. series 1310 slip yoke and ujoints to be able to use current off the shelf ujoints. problem is output shaft and yoke splines don't match. I was told a yoke from Olds may work. (49-56)

If anyone has measurements available that would be great. This will save some skinned knuckles at a junkyard if I knew what to look for !!!!

My 53 Pontiac output shaft  measures 1.172"    yoke OD is 1.5"   bearing caps are 1.062"   16 spline

I will attach pictures to help explain.

20211016_095546.jpg

These pages are from an Oldsmobile parts book Group # 5.555 and apparently from 1949-1956 Olds used different yokes for different applications. I don't know what the differences are between all the yokes, I'm just showing pics of a typical driveshaft from a 1954 Olds with Hydramatic for some size comparisons. Mine has the internal C-shaped snap rings. The splines are recessed about 2 3/8" down inside the end of the yoke. There are 16 splines as shown. The measurement between the outer tip edges of the teeth are about 1 1/8", that's as close as I can get down inside there. The smooth part of the yoke is 5 9/16" long and it's OD is 1.67". You can see in the first pic that in 1939-1950 some Olds models used a yoke in which the bearings were retained by a retaining plate but I do not have any further info on the yoke sizes. I hope this info helps you and good luck in your search!

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...