1929 V8 Cadillac seven seat limousine( Survivor )

Max Cherry

A15C2650-D222-4B4B-9383-636B2FCEDB47.jpeg.3be9bcb062521dfd4fe9eb52fa8f668f.jpeg

Hopefully someone can help me with a few parts keep this Old girl going

I need four wheel clamps preferably with bolts probably common to other makes of that era

and left hand side window winder mechanismI only need the horrible little gear inside but happy to buy the whole thing

can anybody tell me what the upholstery material is called as I have had a small vermin problem

I would love a photograph of the vacuum window wiper mechanism under the visor

oh I’m in the UK

1C3954B3-C895-4E91-BB94-0CA606B7C078.jpeg.0887066b1ab2bccdb8a747cea81cb28c.jpeg33AF1026-F059-4320-BC5D-73FC5AC46B09.jpeg.34257812cc7e7906c6cb2e07fcdb523c.jpegA57D84A1-5A13-43EB-8E95-16BBCABE5F4A.jpeg.1babb04a47f15ecccb64b0e9cce65e1c.jpeg

7CE90DE6-5B4E-4104-8024-CC5FA4B0DFC9.png

Edited by Max Cherry (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Max, as far as the winder gear goes I would suggest you have a Machinist make a new one. Any used ones out there are likely to be one wind up or down from looking like the one you already have. Best of all is if you can make contact with a retired Machinist that still does small jobs at home for some pocket money. They do exist but it may take a bit of hunting. Are there any live steam clubs around you ? They almost always have a few Machinists in their membership.

• Like 1

To add to want 1912Staver stated and with which I agree, if yo have this problem so must others! SO if the fellow you find can make one and would be willing to make several all the same you may have a few customers who would want tot buy one here on the forums!

I also agree with TerryB please edit out the photos and information that really doesn't apply . We really don't need to know about UK documentation, emissio9n control information, harness finder etc. kinda takes up a lot of space.........................🙃

Look up RDG Tools in West Yorkshire. They supply all sorts of machinist tools to the model engineering market. I've purchased involute gear cutters from them. I suspect they may be able to connect you with someone in your area that does the sort of work you need. As for that gear - it was probably pot metal and any original you find is likely to be as bad as the one you have.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Those may be Jaxon wheels. General Motors used Jaxon wheels on many of the cars they made during the mid and late 1920s. They came is many sizes and strengths for the several marques and models cars they offered. Your Cadillac would take one of the heavier variety lugs. The lighter variety lugs are quite common, and readily available as they were used on many of the more common lighter cars including Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, and many smaller Buicks. Larger Buicks, Cadillac, LaSalle, and many trucks used one of a few heavier size lugs.

There are actually a few sizes of them, so a couple closeup photos with a measuring stick would help to identify which size you need. A couple of the sizes will function okay on the heavier wheels, so check all yours to be certain you are requesting the most likely correct ones. The heavier Jaxon lugs are not nearly so common, but they are not rare either. I believe I may have two or three of them myself, whether they are the right ones or not? If you can post good photos and measurements, I will be happy to check mine out.

The window winder gear? I also recommend having that made. Even IF the gear wasn't made of failing material (as many were?), the likelihood of finding a matching gear is small. There were so many body builders, and ever changing styles and details of the lower production model cars, you could try a hundred window risers that look close but would be off just a bit too much. I went through that years ago for one of my cars. I wound up cannibalizing two not quite right window mechanisms and parts of my badly broken original to make one unit that was right. And that was after a full year of scouring a dozen swap meets looking at hundreds of riser mechanisms!

Of course, about two years later I found a nearly perfect one.

Beautiful automobile!

18 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Those may be Jaxon wheels. General Motors used Jaxon wheels on many of the cars they made during the mid and late 1920s. They came is many sizes and strengths for the several marques and models cars they offered. Your Cadillac would take one of the heavier variety lugs. The lighter variety lugs are quite common, and readily available as they were used on many of the more common lighter cars including Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, and many smaller Buicks. Larger Buicks, Cadillac, LaSalle, and many trucks used one of a few heavier size lugs.

There are actually a few sizes of them, so a couple closeup photos with a measuring stick would help to identify which size you need. A couple of the sizes will function okay on the heavier wheels, so check all yours to be certain you are requesting the most likely correct ones. The heavier Jaxon lugs are not nearly so common, but they are not rare either. I believe I may have two or three of them myself, whether they are the right ones or not? If you can post good photos and measurements, I will be happy to check mine out.

The window winder gear? I also recommend having that made. Even IF the gear wasn't made of failing material (as many were?), the likelihood of finding a matching gear is small. There were so many body builders, and ever changing styles and details of the lower production model cars, you could try a hundred window risers that look close but would be off just a bit too much. I went through that years ago for one of my cars. I wound up cannibalizing two not quite right window mechanisms and parts of my badly broken original to make one unit that was right. And that was after a full year of scouring a dozen swap meets looking at hundreds of riser mechanisms!

Of course, about two years later I found a nearly perfect one.

Beautiful automobile!

Thanks Wayne

for coming back with some great info

here’s some pictures of the wheel clamps I do hope you have some like this. 
nobody came back with the fabric type my  upholster Doesn’t know what to ask for at the suppliers i’m not worried about the shade yet any ideas? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

32 minutes ago, Frank Tate said:

I am not even close to being as expert as some that have already replied here, but will take a shot and hope that if not correct it will generate the answer.  I believe that upholstery is called Mohair.

Thanks for coming back Frank that’s something to go on 👍🏻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank Tate said:

I believe that upholstery is called Mohair.

Yup, from an Angora Goat.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohair#:~:text=Mohair (pronounced %2Fˈmoʊ,these qualities to a textile. 

It in my 29 Cad Town Sedan. 

You said 7 passenger, sometimes divided limousines used wool in the back.  It is a little smoother on the surface but not as long lasting. 

$_4.JPG

$_58.JPG

$_51.JPG

• Like 1

Your lug clamps are a bit different than the Jaxon lug clamps that I have. I have a few each of two styles. One style I have is smaller than yours, and the other I have is larger than yours. There is also a difference in the back-side curve between them, although the two anchor pins that keep them in place on the felley is very similar.

Hopefully someone with the right lug clamps will see this thread and you can get the right thing.   

If you cannot find the right ones? It may not be too difficult to alter the larger ones I have to fit and work well? Some weld/filling and grinding would be involved.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, m-mman said:

Yup, from an Angora Goat.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohair#:~:text=Mohair (pronounced %2Fˈmoʊ,these qualities to a textile. 

You said 7 passenger, sometimes divided limousines used wool in the back.  It is a little smoother on the surface but not as long lasting. 

$_4.JPG

$_58.JPG

$_51.JPG

Ar thanks for coming back that’s a great help lovely car

On 10/22/2021 at 12:54 AM, m-mman said:

$_4.JPG

$_58.JPG

$_51.JPG

Thanks so much for the photos and link 

On 10/20/2021 at 1:04 PM, Max Cherry said:

I would love a photograph of the vacuum window wiper mechanism under the visor

Reading your posting again. in 1929 Cadillac used an ELECTRIC wiper motor. For 1930+ they returned to vacuum in use of their "Vision All" parallel blades that slid sideways across the glass, not in an arc. 

The switch is on the left side of the dash, next to the instrument lights. 

The crank above the windshield is to raise the VV (vision-ventilation) windshield. It raises the glass about 4 inches above the dash. 

FYI - you can get a PDF of the owners manual and other things here:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Cadillac/1929_Cadillac_VVI.pdf

On 10/25/2021 at 10:27 PM, m-mman said:

Reading your posting again. in 1929 Cadillac used an ELECTRIC wiper motor. For 1930+ they returned to vacuum in use of their "Vision All" parallel blades that slid sideways across the glass, not in an arc. 

The switch is on the left side of the dash, next to the instrument lights. 

The crank above the windshield is to raise the VV (vision-ventilation) windshield. It raises the glass about 4 inches above the dash. 

FYI - you can get a PDF of the owners manual and other things here:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Cadillac/1929_Cadillac_VVI.pdf

Thanks so much for that information only just seen your post I have put new wood in above The windscreen and got all the mechanism working. That didn’t realise the drive motor was on the outside