53 pontiac driveshaft slip joint dilema

john hess

Hello all... as the title implies, I have a driveshaft dilema. After a successful summer of driving of approximately 3500 miles on numerous trips, I had developed a vibration in the driveline. As suspected, ujoints... 

Long story made short, I had to have a new driveshaft made. (UNOBTAINIUM U JOINTS) 

Spicer 1310 slipjoint has square splines, pontiac has tapered splines on output shaft. This just came about as I only picked up the driveshaft friday. I will be calling the shop monday,but I thought I might get some insight from the forum members early. Anyone ever have this issue, or can you point me in the right direction ?  I'm hoping it's just a matter of finding the proper slipjoint yoke as the builder overlooked this 'minor' measurement...... John 

20211016_095546.jpg

The " u " joint from the rear must must line up with the " U " joint at the tranny. Check to see if the joints are in line. A small lump of weld left unground can also cause vibrations, sometimes even paint can cause an imbalance.  

need some machine work... output shaft has some wear from out of balance driveshaft. probably some spray weld and recut... then match grind splines to fit slip yoke...... also need to get a new tail shaft bushing. 

Just doing my part to keep the local economy going !!!   John 

20211016_112544.jpg

• Like 1

ok. no luck at that shop... next option, called driveline specialties in Texas.  Brent was helpful in the fact that I have no option in new parts. suggested looking for olds yolk... My 2 questions for someone reading this are, #1 are the splines the same profile as pictured ? (vintage 49-56) and #2 what are the bearing caps measuring ?

53 pontiac bearings measured 1". obsolete, hence the reason for upgrade. shaft measures at 1.172"

I am hoping that the Olds bearings measure at 1.062 (current available for 1310 series slipjoint and the spline profile and measurements are the same as 53 pontiac (1.172) 

Any knowledge on this will help me in pursuing parts from salvage yards and hopefully prevent wasted $$ and skinned knuckles removing wrong / incompatible parts.... thanks John 

2 hours ago, john hess said:

hmmm... that could be a spare !!! and a new output shaft would be icing on the cake....

my original driveshaft was ruined in a roadside repair in an effort to get home.. made it home but created the mess I'm in now...

Driveshafts can be made.  Just need the correct joints. Get this one and keep searching.  The price seems reasonable.   

On 10/17/2021 at 5:11 PM, john hess said:

Hello all... as the title implies, I have a driveshaft dilema. After a successful summer of driving of approximately 3500 miles on numerous trips, I had developed a vibration in the driveline. As suspected, ujoints... 

Long story made short, I had to have a new driveshaft made. (UNOBTAINIUM U JOINTS) 

Spicer 1310 slipjoint has square splines, pontiac has tapered splines on output shaft. This just came about as I only picked up the driveshaft friday. I will be calling the shop monday,but I thought I might get some insight from the forum members early. Anyone ever have this issue, or can you point me in the right direction ?  I'm hoping it's just a matter of finding the proper slipjoint yoke as the builder overlooked this 'minor' measurement...... John 

20211016_095546.jpg

the correct slip yoke p/n is 516601 1952-54 Pontiac both Hydra-Matic and Standard 3 speed trans used the same yoke.

On 10/17/2021 at 5:11 PM, john hess said:

20211016_095546.jpg

i've never had problems finding 1953 Pontiac U joints, Pontiac used two types, Mechanics and Spicer.

hi Charles.. I must have gotten the unicorn..... 3 times I was given ujoints that measured wrong to my driveshaft. My cross and bearings measure 3.125x1....... and going by the pontiac manual they are saginaw type joints.... small tabs (like a guitar pick) with bolts, to hold bearings in .... yoke casting has no provisions for snap rings (inside or out) ... rear ujoints from napa, and 2 others, bolt up to companion flange on differential, but again, bearings measure out wrong for original driveshaft. (1" original, 1.062" napa)

I will try to source something locally since shipping is usually a deal breaker. .... 

I am not doubting anything you're saying as it sounds like I just have an odd combination.... if I could somehow get the measurements of the part #516601 that would solve this dilema.... 

thanks Charles for your knowledge. thanks avgwarhawk for your info.  

meanwhile, the hunt is on !!!! all part of the fun..... John 

Hey John, does everything else about the new shaft fit except that front spline?

I see in @avgwarhawk's first link that the u-joint is held in with bolted tabs, and a tapered inner surface,  and it is part #516601, and I see from @avgwarhawk's second link another driveshaft like what I believe you have described.

I have no book for 1953, but I have a July 1952 Pontiac-Olds-Buick interchange book and it says that a 506414 yoke fits 1939-1951 Pontiac all, and 1951 Oldsmobile all. Here is one on ebay, and though the pictures are lousy and there are no measurements other than length of the round part, the yoke appears to have flat surfaces cut on the inside for C clips.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184593277911

I do know that all of those 39-51 Pontiac 3 speed transmissions are also the 5-bolt transmissions.

Can someone with 1950s Pontiac books check and see if the output shaft and any other parts that touch the yoke on a 1953 are the same parts as a 1951 and earlier Pontiac? I suspect they are, and if so the 506414 should fit the transmission.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

thanks bloo... I think we're getting somewhere... I will be buying the joint kit that @avgwarhawk gave a link to...(thanks @avgwarhawk). This is a match for my original yoke. same casting # and spline profile.

next I will be ordering (2)  combination ujoints from dennysdriveshaft.com. (1) spare... It is a Neapco 1-2173..... 1"x1.125"

with that, i will change the front weld-in yoke to a Neapco N3R 28-437 weld-in yoke... 

I had to change this yoke because I wasn't able to find a combination joint to go to 1"x1.062"..... 

After all this I will be able to get 'off the shelf' parts, should the need arise..  

thanks for your info. that's what is great about the forum.. people helping people.... if it all works, I'll let everyone know...... John 

• Like 2

update..... ok, here's what I found.. won't  have to change the front weld-in yoke on new driveshaft if these measurements pan out... A combination/conversion ujoint from a 64-66 mustang or falcon is the piece I need... front joint.... It's  a Neapco 11-8574.. It will fit the 1310 joint on the new driveshaft. (1.062) Bought the NOS pontiac slipjoint. (1.0").....Thanks @avgwarhawk.. 

Only hold up is the measurements of the small side of the combo joint... need outside length of the 1" side.. If 3.125", we're good.... this pontiac joint doesn't have provisions for 'c' clips. only has tabs with bolts to hold bearing caps in yoke.... Hopefully local Napa has one I can measure.... hard to get there during work hours... (truck driver), but I have high hopes!!! John 

Waiting for NOS slip yoke to arrive.

Since this is also a 'Saginaw' style joint, I will need to have some machine work done to accept my conversion ujoint (neapco 11-8574). This will then allow me to source locally available parts, should the need arise. 

I will attach a picture showing the yoke on the original driveshaft. It has the machining started for the 'mechanics' style joint, but, for unknown reasons not completed.

In the above picture, you can see the 'Saginaw' style yoke that was bored out to accept the available joint. (1.062×1.062) This was my repair to get home... Could not find 1"×1" ujoints.  Also, this shows the overlength/width of that joint. I shimmed the saginaw holding tab on both sides. Crude, but it worked!!  John 

• 1 month later...

update on my slipjoint issues... Just got the modified NOS slipjoint back from the machine shop... He's a busy one man operation in a barn. Took awhile but I'm happy with his work... 

Waiting on the combo ujoints to arrive.. the last piece of the puzzle! 

Also got a whole 'new' transmission from a forum member.. thanks Don ! We did a bit of trading and both parties are happy !! 

Cleaned up transmission  and driveshaft and they are ready for a quick coat of paint as soon as joint arrives....... John 

20211219_141348.jpg

20211220_173838.jpg

• Like 1

The donor transmission is from a 51 pontiac.. Don is upgrading to a 5 speed transmission and this was in that car that he was driving, so I know it is good to go. All I did was added my reverse light switch and bracket and cleaned it up a bit for paint.... John 

• Like 1