Power antenna

Barney Eaton

Got my '91 out yesterday, it has been at least November of last year when I last had time to take a ride. 

At the same time I washed the car cover,  drove it about 20 miles, did a little detailing and moved it from the house to the workshop garage. 

I keep it on a battery maintainer.   Went to the workshop this am and heard a buzzing and thought it was the neighbors mowing,  but it was 9:00 am on Sunday

checked a litter further and it was the power antenna.    I did not turn on the antenna yesterday so I am not sure why it failed.    Guess I will be repairing my 

own power antenna. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Barney, 

I stumbled across these posts from a google search, I have a 2005 Bentley Arnage with a failed power antenna, the antenna can be extended fully by hand with little resistance, and retracted almost fully in the same manner but does not raise or lower by power.  A new unit is NLA from Bentley, and I haven't had any luck tracking down any other replacement. 

I'm sure this unit is made by some common 3rd party, but have not been able to determine who, and was wondering if it's something you'd consider working on?

I just joined this site, and cannot PM you due to lack of post count.  

Thanks, 

ant1.jpg

ant2.jpg

ant3.jpg

• Like 1

You are correct that it is a "common" unit.   They are made, where else but China.

The antenna manufacturer customizes them for them for the auto makers so that they have the fender mount and connector that makes them plug-n-play.   I have seen them on Buicks and Corvettes that the car owner swears was installed by the dealer.

You can get the same unit online and at auto parts stores but those are "generic" and you get a varity of plastic fender mounts so you can choose the one that matches the contour of your vehicles fender..... but on the connector end you must do some customizing or wire splicing to complete the installation.  

The common problem is the plastic cord.... however there are online (and maybe available at some auto parts stores) repair kits that gives you a new mast assembly with a new cord attached.   

I did notice the unit pictured shows it was made in Japan, probably in 2005 then the Chinese started copying it just like the Japanese did with US items back in the '60's - '70's 

I will be back at my computer in a couple of days and I can post pictures and links about these "late" model antenna

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

One important thing I failed to mention......the plastic cord in these foreign made units has "teeth" they mesh with a gear inside. 

The Delco unit used on GM cars has a round smooth plastic cord.

The plastic cord is the normal failure item on all power antenna. 

Thanks, 

I believe this antenna also acts as a cell phone antenna for the car's built in phone (which is probably irrelevant at this point but I'm hoping to find some way to activate it.. different topic)

Sounding like maybe possible to buy a generic antenna and swap the fender-mount parts over, and figure out wiring..