1929 Desoto model k - upgrade brakes

C Macken

I would like as-good-as-possible brakes on my 1929 DeSoto model K roadster. I would appreciate opinions on the preferred way to achieve this. Option 1: scavenging old parts and getting them machined up. Option 2: source new parts. And if Option 2 is thought to be the better approach, does anyone have suggestions for a source for new replacement parts?

I think first you need to know what may be worn or out of adjustment. Shoe linings are available, springs can be sourced, bushings can be made, but other things might be harder to get. Do you have any shop literature covering your car's brakes? If not start there. There are restoration shops that can redo braking systems if you want to go that route also.

10 hours ago, C Macken said:

I would like as-good-as-possible brakes on my 1929 DeSoto model K roadster. I would appreciate opinions on the preferred way to achieve this. Option 1: scavenging old parts and getting them machined up. Option 2: source new parts. And if Option 2 is thought to be the better approach, does anyone have suggestions for a source for new replacement parts?

Try Andy Bernbaum for parts....

https://www.oldmoparts.com/

In most cases your original brake cylinders can be resleeved.  The rest of the parts are available, although some of the brass connectors can be hard to find if yours are damaged or broken.  I would need to know the current state of the car and brakes to make an educated opinion on what you can do.

• Like 1

We restored the car in 1964 when I was 16 years old. My brother and I did much of the hand labor, but my father was the one with the mechanical knowledge and served as the parts chaser, so I am afraid I can't help you on specifics. But I do recall that the brakes were pretty standard, other than not being self-adjusting. A lot of brakes from that era used eccentric adjusters on each brake shoe -- an off-center threaded post with a nut to secure it once you had adjusted it so that the shoe just contacted the drum. The Desoto may have been like that. I just don't remember.

I can tell you that it was a nice driving and handling car for the era -- lightweight and responsive. Top speed was about 65 MPH. Very smooth-running engine.