Some sort of factory documentation for a Muncie 4 speed shift lever

Gary V

46 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

1968-1972 Chevelle Muncie Shifter Handle Modified To Fit Hurst Shifters On Bench  Seat Cars

Unfortunately, that is not even close to the correct shift lever. The two bolt pattern at the base of this lever is designed to bolt to an aftermarket Hurst shifter. The correct original Muncie shift lever bolted to a Muncie-sourced shifter. This is a photo of a 1966 Muncie shifter and stick. Note the completely different bolt-on attachment.

1519065904_Muncieshifter.jpg.b68d16d97af62a79d36e2ce7efd3e1f7.jpg

The 1969 used the same Muncie shifter mechanism, but with a flat stick that looked like this.

777ceb2dbf1acdb17ecf251c205be650.jpg.3e82999bb3942b35fdda67452a1b75be.jpg

And for reference, the aftermarket stick with the two holes in line bolts to an aftermarket Hurst shifter that looks like this. It's a better shifter, but it would not be correct for the OP's car.

174605955_Munciehurst.jpg.73ce982978d31fec22957fb04958f9de.jpg

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

I'd send a picture of my current 1970 Chevelle but it isn't a 4 speed M20. I grew up driving this era cars and know them fairly well. My 1970 Nova SS 350 had this same shifter. My buddy's 69 SS396 Chevelle bench car had this shifter. As well as the afor mentioned 1970 Chevelle  Malibu 350. This is a very common shifter. Not hard to authenicate!  We are talking mass produced Chevy's NOT hand fabbed Euro exotics!

• Like 1

It is Group 4.006 my newest parts book goes up to 1966 and it designates a "lever" for muncie four speed ss and muncie transmission, which would be a bench seat. they call it a lever, there is also another lever listed. there is the answer to the question if it ever comes up again.. Just need it from the correct year  parts book. 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

What I found. 1972 Cheverolet parts book shows handle #3924422 for 4spd exc. B. S. 
Book does not show diagram of either 68 or 69 Chevelle/Malibu w/4spd except back drive linkage. And no real pic of Muncie on handle. 
FWIW. Same part number handle is listed for 68 396 3spd. There too,only 69 diagram shows back drive only. 

E6C3519F-5CC9-49D6-9657-28F765B206C2.jpeg

C7A7310D-3457-4CA6-8717-B3392FD7A981.jpeg

Joh348:   My shop manual is offsite.  I will check that this week, thanks for the suggestion !

PAV8427:  Thanks.  Those listings at least establish that Muncie was a transmission option.   I would like to believe that would be sufficient to a judge that the shift lever was part of the RPO (option).

I'm also wondering if the following would satisfy any future judges questions: 

1)  I have my original warranty Protect-O-Plate.  On it is imprinted, among other items, the owners name and address (us)  and vehicle VIN and the code for transmission installed at the factory.  In this case, the code is "P9D19".    

2) On Page 6, General-3 of the "gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Chevelle/1969-Chevrolet-Chevelle.pdf" document from the GM Heritage Center website (which is a GM site, therefore "factory"), is the following breakdown of the "Serial Number and Identification" of transmissions:

Source Designation P = Muncie

Model Year                9 = 1969

Production Month    D = April

Production Day       19 =  19

So this would confirm, with two sources of factory documentation,  that a Muncie was installed in my car from the factory.   I have an original Chevelle sales catalog with a grainy photo of the shift lever, where the engraving is just about impossible to discern, unless you know what you're looking for.    I'd like to think these two items would  satisfy a judge questioning the shifter.

Gary

IMG_5218.jpg

Edited by Gary V (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, elcamino72 said:

Find a copy of this brochure.  The picture on pg. 19 should suffice.  http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/members/AardvarkPublisherAttachments/9990410069753/1969_Chevelle_Brochure_1-20.pdf  

Yes, thanks.  That is the sales catalog with the grainy photo I mentioned.  I have an original, but still hard to make out the engraving.