Spinning metallic sound when clutch is pressed.

Justinlb

1940 Buick 50 series.

There is a spinning metallic sound when I press in the clutch in all gears except neutral. it just started randomly today.
I'm starting to think it's the throw out bearing unless anyone has any ideas on what else could be going wrong?

It wouldn't surprise me, I've been daily driving it for a long time. It would just suck to take everything apart if I don't have to. 😔

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

John is probably right.   I would remove the lower clutch cover and try oiling the throw out bearing.  Not to much and a heavy oil.  May last a long time.  Remember, this bearing is in service/spinning ONLY while the clutch pedal is depressed even a little. 

Ben

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

John is probably right.   I would remove the lower clutch cover and try oiling the throw out bearing.  Not to much and a heavy oil.  May last a long time.  Remember, this bearing is in service/spinning ONLY while the clutch pedal is depressed even a little. 

Ben

Great suggestions and if you can get under there with a good light and a willing assistant to push the pedal and release while you inspect, something might be seen otherwise impossible. If you can reach when pedal released, you could try turning bearing to check contact. Original wavy formed original pressure plates are typically cracked and three finger and other styles contact the "face" of the bearing differently. Good luck!

• Like 1

I does sound like a throw-out bearing.  I have dug into my 3 speeds a few times.  Other then needle bearings going bad or pitting of gears/lost tooth not much else will make a noise inside the gearbox. If it is the throw out bearing more than likely the gearbox will be coming out.  And as long as it is out new clutch goes in.  And as long as it it out the rear end get rebuilt. As long as it is out....you get the idea. Sigh.....     

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

On 10/14/2021 at 10:33 AM, Justinlb said:

There is a spinning metallic sound when I press in the clutch in all gears except neutral.

The throw out bearing engages in all gears AND NEUTRAL. A bad throw out bearing would make as much noise in neutral as other gears. If it makes noise in gears but not neutral, it's because the clutch is not fully disengaging, and there is something between the plates causing some friction as the plates turn, but in neutral it doesn't do that. The only thing that can cause that is acorns.

One more thing actually.... The pilot bearing (or bushing if it is a bushing) comes into play with the clutch disengaged but the transmission in gear.

Technically it could make noise in neutral too, but if it is dragging, it could spin the input shaft up instead of making a noise.

No matter really, if you have the transmission out to service a throw out bearing, you should pull the clutch and scrutinize the pilot bearing (or bushing) while you are at it. If it is indeed a bearing instead of a bushing, there is no way to lubricate it without pulling the transmission and clutch out, so it probably hasn't had a drop of grease since new.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

And one more thing:  When you replace the throwout bearing, make a note in your records as to whether it is a sealed bearing (needing no periodic oiling) or not sealed (which does).  This is more important for earlier cars which have an oil tube for the t/o bearing from in front of the floor shift tower leading down to the bearing.  If one has a sealed bearing, there is no benefit --and potentially some DISadvantage -- to periodically putting oil in that tube.  For my cars which have carpet or a mat obscuring the oil tube, I put a piece of masking tape on the floorboard under the carpet to remind me which style of bearing is installed in that car.

• Like 1