1967 Buick tire options

60s GM Fan

Tire choices were "blackwall" and "whitewall", depending on the model.  GM was using "UniRoyal" (formerly U. S. Royal) as their primary tire provider (as Chrylser was using Goodyear and Ford was using Firestone).  In either 1967 or 1968, UniRoyal also supplied a radial whitewall tire as optional equipment later in the model year (specific details are in the BCA Roster and Judging Manual).  I believe that 8.45x15 would have been the correct size for a Wildcat, back then (also verified in the Judging Manual)?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

You could have radials as an option on a 67. Wildcat and Electra used the same size I believe. My Electra has had radials since I’ve owned it and it rides very nice, so I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with radials and there are other options for white walls. I’m running multi mile matrix on the Electra and I’ve been happy. 

Its quite funny you mentioned you had   awful  Hankook tires on  your Buick now,---but actually  most of that brand

have a fairly good reputation,---depends on the  brand  model spec that you have,---very popular  for  alot of european model classics,

i had  a set on a 1958 Porsche 356 speedster, and they were great, i personally would not  use  bias  ply on   a Wildcat  unless it was a full show car,

But would fit  a  really good  radial set  to the factory size-and white wall.--good luck. 

For memory i fitted  235x70x15 radials on my 65 Riv,--and it was fantastic,-- and you can even get  punctures 

from a bolt,---not just nails.

P1100376.JPG

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Its going to be a daily driver (I know blasphemy) but I'm a stickler for having things 100% like how they were for that model year.  My 55 CDV is 100% factory correct and I'd like to do the same for my 67 Cat.  Most driving takes place within 15-25 miles from my house so I'm not overly concerned with wear, etc.  If I go out of town I'll either fly or rent a car provided that the Cat isn't part of that trip.  Modern radials IMHO just detract from the overall look of the car even if they're a better tech.

While the modern look 

4 hours ago, 60s Buick Fan said:

Modern radials IMHO just detract from the overall look of the car even if they're a better tech.

While this statement is definitely true for your 55 Caddy, I don't think it's true for the 67 Wildcat.  Radials look perfectly correct (and they are correct) for these cars, and I would say the bias ply's would look more out of place.  

IMG_3360.JPG.068c78537db2169e3b5b57f382472f30.JPG

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 60s Buick Fan said:

Its going to be a daily driver (I know blasphemy)

Good for you -- they were meant to be driven!  My only concern would be the large percentage (majority?) of other drivers on the road for whom driving is simply a distraction for their texting or other non-driving activity.  It would be a shame to see a mundane SUV attempt to occupy the same space as the Wildcat...  :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I FULLY understand the orientation of "daily-driving" an older car . . . BUT it became very obvious to me years ago . . . that you "daily-drive" a car which is both expendable and easy to buy parts for (salvage yard or new) easily and at reasonable prices.  AND in TX, the perils also include hail storms (which don't play well with convertible tops, by observation)!

AND then there is the "insurance experience" which can be variable depending upon how you have the vehicle insured and used.  Many insurance adjusters are not well-versed in "older cars", but this can be variable, too, by observation.  Many companies have become more aware of how to deal with these things over the past few decades, though, but it still relates to value vs. damage.

The traffic patterns and speeds in your locale could well be different than in the DFW metro area (or similar), but the way things tend to go, having something like air bags, anti-lock brakes, and radial tires can be beneficial.

As lucky as you might have been previously, just remember that there will be that one "percentage deal"  . . .  but you're a grown-up person so HAVE FUN!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I’m with you on the bias tires and I’ve also had 54-59 caddy coupes that were original, nothing compares to that tall thin look without the  “puddle pooch” at the bottom of the wheel when sitting like a radial

it seems just to be a matter of preference since that was right in the transition years from bias to radials, I had that Coker tire you posted on a 68 coupe deville, drove as fine as a bias tire could and I drove that on highways in Houston with no issues, then I had a 68 Bonneville convert with cheap radials that definitely drove better but didn’t look near as good, It’s all about what makes you happy 

If you ever feel the desire to upgrade that Cadillac, I’ve got a factory 2x4 manifold for cheap and some Sabres just collecting dust, but you already have those...

Edited by jw1955buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1