Metal machines

knobless

I have an old 3-in-1 machine, TRIOK brand from Taiwan, 24" width, useful for shearing, rolling, and bending thin sheet metal, i.e. 20 gauge steel, .050"-0.062" aluminum.  It will also roll wire and steel rod up to 1/4" diameter into an arc.  It all depends what you want to use one for and how much use it will get.  Harbor Freight makes a 30-inch one for $500, might be OK for occasional use.  https://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-shear-press-brake-and-slip-roll-5907.html

For wider and heavier stuff, I go to the sheet metal company down the road.  However, I do have a 12-ton HF hydraulic press with a Swag Off-Road finger brake for bending stuff up to 1/4" thick and a few inches wide.

My 3-in-1 is on a metal stand with wheels under it so I can move it around in the garage. 

1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

Read the reviews before buying one of the made in China ones from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. Some have bad reviews, like they say you cannot shear metal thicker then 30 ga which is very thin. Do a better job as brake (bending) than shearing usually.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200659546_200659546

Yes was going to stay away from both, looking for best quality in a less expensive model,,,done mind paying 5-800 as long as it works well, getting into some replacement panels for certain makes and models, not found in today’s market, also looking to do door skins, my design gig,,,,we’ll see, thanks

I do a lot of fabricating sheet metal and I have large industrial equipment but rarely do I ever fabricate the small parts that can be done on the 3 in 1 machine.

Therefor, I conclude that if you own one, you will hardly ever use it and it will sit in the corner collecting dust.

Instead, buy your self a good set of tinsnips. Small pieces of sheet metal can be bent between two pieces of angle iron clamped in a vice. Sheet metal can be easily be wrapped around different sizes of pipe or even a soup can.

👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/13/2021 at 2:08 PM, knobless said:

Has anyone used or own one of those 3 in 1 sheet metal machines? Shear,bend, and rolls, thinking I might look into buying one but want something worth buying, 

Thanks

Couple of comments.

First, I believe you’re interested in metal forming equipment, rather than “machines”.

Second, most multi-task equipment or machines, especially ones with designs based on the concept of “economy”, usually aren’t very practical or even cost-effective for anything beyond “just tinkering”.

And in case you still wish to pursue one, look for the best available quality, not price.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 4:52 PM, knobless said:

To both of you, What make? 30”?

Yes, my machine is the 30" model sold by many retailers like Eastwood, HF, Grizzly, etc. As stated, they are not for heavy gauge metals, but work fine for auto body steel and aluminum. A larger size machine would be handy, but I have limited space so I use what I can afford.

Phil

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 2:53 AM, Gary_Ash said:

I have an old 3-in-1 machine, TRIOK brand from Taiwan, 24" width, useful for shearing, rolling, and bending thin sheet metal, i.e. 20 gauge steel, .050"-0.062" aluminum.  It will also roll wire and steel rod up to 1/4" diameter into an arc.  It all depends what you want to use one for and how much use it will get.  Harbor Freight makes a 30-inch one for $500, might be OK for occasional use.  https://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch-shear-press-brake-and-slip-roll-5907.html

For wider and heavier stuff, I go to the sheet metal company down the road.  However, I do have a 12-ton HF hydraulic press with a Swag Off-Road finger brake for bending stuff up to 1/4" thick and a few inches wide.

My 3-in-1 is on a metal stand with wheels under it so I can move it around in the garage. 

It doesn't matter to me as long as it works, I'm willing to pay between $580 and $800 as long as it's good quality, and it usually comes with door skins, since that's my design gig.