Replace the water pump on a 1998 Park Avenue

wnlewis

Is it possible to replace the water pump on a 1998 Park Avenue (VIN K, not the VIN 1) without removing the engine mount on the right side?

I have the GM shop manual and it says to remove the belt, the engine mount, and then the pump.

I have seen a video that shows the pump being removed and installed without removing the engine mount.

Which is correct? Or is it just easier to remove the engine mount and belt first?

I have replaced the water pump on a Series I 3800. The engine mount bolts go through the water pump on those engines. So I am familiar with removing engine mounts.

Personally I would remove the mount and use a floor jack to lift the front of the engine for better access to the pump.  Easier cleaning of the old gaskets.  Not many transverse mounted engines where accessing the front of the engine does not require engine mount removal and floor jack support below. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Personally I would remove the mount and use a floor jack to lift the front of the engine for better access to the pump.  Easier cleaning of the old gaskets.  Not many transverse mounted engines where accessing the front of the engine does not require engine mount removal and floor jack support below. 

That was my thinking too. I was hoping that I could be lazy.

On the '95 LeSabre, taking the water pump off without removing the engine mount was not possible at all, with a bolt from the engine mount going through it.

Oh well, it's not too bad. I've done it before. I'll find a good stout piece of plywood, my hydraulic jack and a jack stand and get to work.

Thanks for confirming what I had suspected.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

use a floor jack to lift the front of the engine for better access to the pump

That would be right side of the engine..... 

I did just that  (jack support oil pan) when changing the one on my '98 Park Avenue at around 200k. It still wasn't leaking, just could not stand the bad bearing noise any longer ("it has to fail soon...") since I was driving it 70+ miles everyday.

• Like 1