1937 Studebaker Accessory Parking Lights

Hi guys,

I’m adding the accessory parking lights to my fenders on my Dictator.  How did they originally wire into the factory harness?  My harness was made by Lark Works to factory specs.  I have one wire for parking lights that connects to the headlight harness for the small bulb inside the headlight bucket.  How did the factory accessory fender light grab parking light power?  Thank you!

nate

Nate :

I have a 37 Dictator 6A that I installed the accessory parking lights on. I installed a separate harness to use them as turn signals.  You can use a 2 to 1 bullet connector and tie them to your low beam headlight circuit so they will come on when you put your headlights on. If you use the parking light circuit the light will go out as the switch advances to the headlight circuit. Lark Works should be able to supply the connectors if not try Rhode Island Wiring. 

Regards Frank  

Nate

To my knowledge the fender lights were used as running lights, they had the equivalent of flashlight bulbs in them from Studebaker so the lights would glow at night.  I believe they were connected to the headlight circuit and not the parking light circuit.

Regards Frank

I have a 38 that I am going to put the fender lights on. I was thinking of hooking the light to the headlight circuit. I was also thinking of putting a second bulb maybe yellow and hook that up to the directional. Haven’t checked to see if possible to put a second bulb in yet so not sure if it is possible. 
dave s 

69047A5F-9A10-4E27-87C4-35065FE00F47.jpeg

Hi Dave,

So what I’m planning to do is this: Shrock’s reproduction parking lights are already wired with a double filament bulb.  I’m wiring the low filament to the low beam headlight wiring so it won’t draw many amps on the headlight switch.  I’m wiring the brighter filament to the turn signal lead.  That way I have cool parking lights at night and turn signals as well!  I’ll let you know how it works out!

nate

A 6V relay could be hidden up front and then none of your light current will go though the headlight switch.  I am putting a Lark Works harness in my car as well and I am considering it.  Even if the relay is under the dash it would still reduce the load on the 80 year old switch.  I bought some 6V yellow scooter turn signals I am going to try mounting behind the grille for turn indicators.   Not sure if that will work out yet.

Nathan