Upholstery shortage?

sftamx1

The restoration of my '33 Terraplane 8 Convertible coupe is being held up by back ordered, (with no known delivery date,) canvas top material (Haartz cloth)  Is anyone else experiencing this shortage?  I've tried several upholstery suppliers. I even called Haartz Co. They blamed it on Covid of course! 

0408211906a.jpg

0408211906.jpg

Edited by sftamx1
Update (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Covid, people collecting, people being laid off for not being vax'ed, people getting used to laying around, incoherent and inconsistent  policies.......etc, etc, etc. If you are lucky you may not get a healthy surcharge added, just because. I ordered a new tank for one of my compressors a month ago. I might get it in November, ....or not. People get the government they deserve.................Bob

• Like 2

I have a little different problem although related.  I reached out to SMS to inquire about Trimflex Antique Taupe in 3/8" dia windlace and 1/4" welt to support seat upholstery for my 31 Buick project.  The pattern was supposedly discontinued and I happened to find 1/2" Trimflex 1/2" windlace at J&J and was about to order it and let my trim guy disect the 1/2" stuff and re-sew over 3/8" and 1/4" core, which would have been expensive.  At the last second SMS answered they had my material and someone would be calling.  I wound up ordering from SMS with the idea they would ship the correctly sized material in 3-7 days like their website stated.  Next day after ordering I got a paid invoice showing material would go out USPS.  After 7 days and no tracking I checked with the trim shop and they confirmed they did not have it.  I reached out to SMS again and they informed me that they were at least 2wks out on shipping orders and I would get an email with tracking when they shipped.  So alas- I wait.   Oh- they did charge my credit card right on time...

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
correct spelling (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

The overly complex axle lock on my push it yourself wheelchair recently failed, allowing the right side wheel to come off the chair as I try to get around in the chair.  Not a good thing for a paraplegic who spends all day in a wheelchair. I called the retail side of the wheelchair manufacturer for a replacement.  They were out of stock for that part.  I asked “how long to get one” expecting the usual I don’t know response or standard Covid response. Customer service rep said maybe a week, but I will call the supplier right now to place the order and have one drop shipped to you.  So…later in the day I get an email showing order placed with company in CA.  Later that company sends me email with shipping tracking info…Fed Ex with Tuesday Oct 12th delivery date.  I did NOT pay extra for special shipping.   Sunday afternoon October 10 FedEx driver drop off small package at my front door, it’s the axle I needs delivered two days earlier than expected.

So company rep did an excellent job, manufacturer of the part did an excellent job filling the order quickly and FedEx with driver working Sunday did an excellent job.  We need to realize that people are doing their best in a situation that is many times more difficult than it has been in a long time.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Haartz Co. is a top of the tree company that does everything it can to serve customers and I know for a fact have gone out of their way to help customers any way they possibly can; sometimes the factors outside of the company that they have to rely on , (can happen to any company) , do not come through so then they can not get you what you are focusing on. No company I know is in business to frustrate a customer.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Covid, people collecting, people being laid off for not being vax'ed, people getting used to laying around, incoherent and inconsistent  policies.......etc, etc, etc. If you are lucky you may not get a healthy surcharge added, just because. I ordered a new tank for one of my compressors a month ago. I might get it in November, ....or not. People get the government they deserve.................Bob

COVID is responsible for 4.5m deaths worldwide, with 10,000 more daily. Companies like Haartz Co. rely on an international market for their materials. They can't magically snap their fingers and expect the world economy, production and distribution to simply work for them. They are no different than the US automobile industry, where production is stunted due to product outages that are unrelated to the government, but instead to the realities of a worldwide pandemic.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Gov't Mandates have caused many of the problems we are experiencing.  They forced several businesses to close yet let other large businesses stay open. Forced many to work with reduced staff and now with the mandates for the vaccine are causing a new problem with basically firing large parts of some of the workforce who in some cases shouldn't get the vaccine because of possible health complications but using a one size fits all approach they have deemed is the only way to fix things.  When Gov't effects our cars and supply of parts to fix them it needs to be discussed. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

COVID is responsible for 4.5m deaths worldwide, with 10,000 more daily. Companies like Haartz Co. rely on an international market for their materials. They can't magically snap their fingers and expect the world economy, production and distribution to simply work for them. They are no different than the US automobile industry, where production is stunted due to product outages that are unrelated to the government, but instead to the realities of a worldwide pandemic.

Notice I cited covid first in my post. While Covid may be the root cause (excuse?) cited, the supply shortages are exacerbated by other factors, some natural and unavoidable, and others intentional. In keeping with your dictat forbidding posts of an explicit political nature I'll refrain from countering the above.....Peace.....Bob

• Like 1

I live in Rochester, New York, home of the once thriving Eastman Kodak Company. And was an employee in the 1980's. One morning on the way to work I heard a radio ad promoting a procedure for myopia. I thought it was a joke and something about Kodak was going to be the punchline. To my huge and laugh out loud in the car response, it was an optometrist.

Kodak is gone and the management was assimilated. Nothing changes but the date.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

When Gov't effects our cars and supply of parts to fix them it needs to be discussed. 

And the energy needed to operate them. Perhaps in the not so distant future the AACA may have to discard it's rule that all cars must be driven onto the show field.............Bob

• Like 1

Shortages of upholstery material is getting to be a real problem.  Even “common” materials can’t be bought.

Never dreamed it would come to this.

A lot of companies suffering staffing shortages, woolen mills closing,  a general ain’t going to work for low wages because the rich get it all.

Interesting times we live in.

From a trimmer’s perspective, buy the material you need now, if you can find it, lots of common stuff even now not in stock…

• Like 2

Trying to get wiring harness is also difficult.  Studebakers West has a backlog of orders because they cannot get any copper wire.  Reportedly, they have 12,000 feet (over two miles) of just the one color insulation alone.

Craig

On the upside I was told today that the chip shortage may be starting to work it's way through - this was a combination of factors including a fire at one of the major producers.  Please remember everyone that production around the world was halted for more or less 3 months out of the last 18 months and very few places have been able to operate at 100 % capacity since production resumed let alone operating beyond that to make up for lost production.  The companies which means people, as in your friends and neighbours, are doing what they can to meet demand but ultimately a lot of this is beyond their control and we will be a while yet before we make up the lost production, not to mention that demand suddenly shifted to unexpected needs and demands.  In the meantime I'm hoping that the 2021 truck I ordered in June arrives before it's a 2023 model year....  As Walt G and TerryB have expressed the companies and workers are doing their best and manage to exceed our expectation more often than we care to recognize.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think the history books will tell the story someday, we are too close the the fire to see the real effects of the pandemic.  My company offered early retirement to about 20% of our workforce when the pandemic hit, representing easily 1000 years of experience (in just our manufacturing plant).  We have since hired new replacements, that have no experience...   Anyone want to do the math?  Now we have a 5 million dollar backlog of business, our lead time is over 2 months, I am not sure we will ever catch up.  Money will never replace experience to get the job done.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I live in Rochester, New York, home of the once thriving Eastman Kodak Company. And was an employee in the 1980's. One morning on the way to work I heard a radio ad promoting a procedure for myopia. I thought it was a joke and something about Kodak was going to be the punchline. To my huge and laugh out loud in the car response, it was an optometrist.

Kodak is gone and the management was assimilated. Nothing changes but the date.

I believe Kodak was heavily into optics at one time, with their production of movie and slide projectors, attempting to reproduce the clearest images on a big screen, even at the edges without distortion.  Apparently, Kodak was a leader at one time in this field, and were supposedly going to branch out into 'corrective optics' like Bauch & Lomb.   For whatever reason, Kodak did not pursue that field, possibly because their photography business was so strong at the time, but in hindsight, a missed opportunity for Eastman Kodak.

Craig

Shortages across the board on everything. From parts to the labor to make them. On upholstery related, I inquired about door panels for my trans am and the premier company that makes them is 6-8 months out right now. Time to order for next summer. 

I hate to be that guy (and it seems like I always am so I must not hate it, LOL) but it looks like you have a lot more to do to finish that car than the top. I wouldnt let that hold me back.

• Like 1

Thanks for your advice.   It just happens to be at the upholstery shop now,along with another '33 T conv... Thankfully the seats are done. Body's done. We are waiting for the drive train to come back from the rebuilders. And waiting on the chrome.So I'm just trying to keep it moving any way I can.

• Like 2