Brass era to late teens gearbox. Grease

dl456

Hello,

We have been looking for a semi fluid grease to use in the trans axles and gearboxes in the early cars.

I have found Lubriplate 1500 in 35 lb. tubs but order is minimum of 3.

We have looked at cotton picker grease from the farm store but can’t find safety certification for red metals.

what is everybody using?

Thanks

Dennis

I contacted Lubriplate 1500 regarding use with yellow metal and was told it is safe to use. Restoration Supply has a couple choices of small amounts available for this use. Know a fellow who uses Farm Oyl semi fluid grease in a bronze gearbox. Good luck. George 

We use Mobil 600W steam cylinder oil which has a copper strip corrosion rating of 1B. (not perfect) Its very, very thick and is designed for low RPM, High pressures and temperatures and is what is recommended in the scant operating instructions (they refer to it as cylinder oil)  for both the transmission and the differential (one is a worm drive) Its around $140.00 per 5 gallon pail.

23 minutes ago, dl456 said:

We.use the 600wt in most of the nickel era trans and rears,  The early transaxle cars typically call for a semi fluid grease 

Ebay looks promising

Thanks

Dennis

Correct. Though I love the period publication I came across that suggested adding cedar saw dust to both thicken the lubricant and quite a noisy transmission. (LOL) More realisticly they suggested mixing cup grease in to thicken the lubricant though that could get rather expensive too.