1948 Chrysler First drive

R Walling

Yesterday I took my first long drive in my New Yorker. (about 50 miles) First real trip since 1957.

It went smoothly and kept up with the traffic on the Mass pike with of plenty of power left over.  40 lbs. of oil pressure, 185 degrees temp.

No problems and it shifted with ease. I only used 3rd and 4th and the kick down worked smoothly.

The wind noise was louder than the engine.

At idle the engine can hardly be heard.

I did lower the rpm and it lowed the oil pressure from 40lbs to 20 at idle. I wonder if that is  enough?

I could not get Corker tires so I am using modern radials 225 15's that add to the road noise.

I still have to adjust the choke and read about how to do it today.

I am just about to remove the seat covers that have been on it since 1949. They are a beautiful blue color (Wool?)  (my car is technically is a 49 as it was built in the first part of 49 due to production problems with the new 49's.

🙂

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I have kept up a 1948 NewYorker for a older man for over 30+ years.

He loved that car...drove it to many many events over the years.

It was black with a green plastic dash and seats.

He recently passed away sadly.

I own a 48 8 cylinder T&C I've had for over 40 years.

Out on the open road is the sweet spot for these cars.

Good luck and fun ahead with your car!

Edited by c49er
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

I would leave the seat covers on to protect that 73 year old upholstery

Just my opinion

The upholstery will only  deteriorate with time.

While I appreciate the PO's diligence in adding the seat covers, he has never had the pleasure of seeing the nice blue color that he paid for.

One of the main reasons that I bought the car was to enjoy the original interior of a survivor

:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I brought my 49 back to life this summer; it had been in hibernation under several owners for over 20 years. Still working out some bugs but I've been putting some miles on it. I have to admit, I like the looks of the 48 a bit more. Quiet is the word for these. Yesterday I drove it over to the previous owners to show him; he commented that he only heard the tires on gravel as I pulled up. Easy to think you've stalled at a light. I'm with c49er, a fine highway car. When I think of, say, the fuselage Chryslers, I think of a car that just wants to eat up the interstate. I can see some parallels with these "forefathers".

• Like 3

I am hoping that the original seat upholstery will stand up to use after I remove the seat covers.

I had a 62 Falcon with "brand new" original upholstery that crumbled into little pieces when I sat on it.

I have already looked into new wool upholstery if the original's fail. The cost is less than $700. Time will tell,

I will post a pic of the original seats later in spring after I finish doing a few needed things. I do plan on driving it in the winter on a few nice days.

DAM THE SALT! nice driving days ahead!

• Like 2

Nice car. Great to read about it being driven again. Does it have the straight 8? These 8’s interest me. I’ve yet to see, hear or drive one. I hope to some day. It may mean a long trip for me, to maybe drive a friend’s 8 NY’r  @Jeff Perkins / Mn lol. 

Is that an oil pressure gauge mounted near the left side of the steering column? 20 psi at idle seems pretty darn good to me. 

Be sure to go through the brakes thoroughly. They love to rust up pretty bad at the wheel cylinders. Proper concentric adjustment of the shoes is paramount to get good brake performance. These are big heavy cars. You’ll want good brakes to reign-in Newton’s law.  Things in motion want to stay in a straight line of motion!  Or something like that. 😃

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Nice car. Great to read about it being driven again. Does it have the straight 8? These 8’s interest me. I’ve yet to see, hear or drive one. I hope to some day. It may mean a long trip for me, to maybe drive a friend’s 8 NY’r  @Jeff Perkins / Mn lol. 

Is that an oil pressure gauge mounted near the left side of the steering column? 20 psi at idle seems pretty darn good to me. 

Be sure to go through the brakes thoroughly. They love to rust up pretty bad at the wheel cylinders. Proper concentric adjustment of the shoes is paramount to get good brake performance. These are big heavy cars. You’ll want good brakes to reign-in Newton’s law.  Things in motion want to stay in a straight line of motion!  Or something like that. 😃

Being that it's a New Yorker, it does have the 8 cylinder.

• Like 1

Roger’s posts about bringing this car back to life have been a great read.  He is doing a favor to many to show that old car ownership does not need to be an extravagant indulgence in spending bushel baskets of money on a car to enjoy it.  I was recently at a public sale near my home that had those white wheel rings that Roger’s car is missing and I hoped to buy them for him if the price was right.  Unfortunately I had to leave before they went across the auction so no luck in getting them.  Thanks Roger for sharing your experiences with us.

• Like 2

I did finally find the white wheel ring that I was missing thanks to a fellow member.

Indeed, it does have an eight, plenty of power and torque.

At 80 it still wants to go for more.

I did replace all the wheel cylinders master lines and hoses.

I dropped the pan and cleaned out 1" of sludge, dropped the gas tank and pressure washed out all the sticky residue from the old evaporated gas.

I pulled the head to free the valves with penetrating oil and installed a new water pump.

Ps, did mention that it has only 39500 miles on it?

• Like 6

I like the fluid drive. I wasn't sure if I would like it but it is really nice shifting,

It moves away from the stop light in 3rd just a little slow but it is not worth putting it in 1st/2nd and then have to shift. Let the guy behind me be patient!

If I want to go fast, I could use my 57 Corvette. I'm not sure which one that I like best for causal driving, but they both attract a lot of attention while driving.

• Like 1

Congratulations Roger! I love my ‘48 NYer , especially out on the open road. Acceleration (I start in 3rd) is fine and before I know it I am going 60-65 mph (in a 55!) and have to back off. My oil pressure pretty much stays above 40, when warmed up it may go down below that a little but not much. My temperature has not gone above 160, even on an 85 deg. day. Good thing you went through your brakes, I adjusted mine using the @keithb7 supplied brake tool. These cars are absolutely wonderful, a much better car than my former 1948 Packard.

You can drive these M-5/ M-6 transmissions just like a 4 speed if you use the "Shift-Rite" shift knob or set one up on the shifter cover and lever.

No full throttle kick down required...smooth silent up down shifting when you want it.

Makes these cars effortless to drive.

21 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

Those seats might not be in good shape,my 50 had them on since new and the original covers were rotten.

I am concerned about that. One reason that I am going to remove the seat covers is that the stitching on the covers is starting to let go so I don't have much choice.