1985 Electra mirror

BRB62

I stupidly broke my LH door mirror on the Park Avenue, power/not heated. The power motor and mirror are okay but the body is badly cracked and ABS plastic isn't easy to repair. I have found a couple of LH mirrors for sale but there is conflicting advice as to what suits my car. I understand 1987 up are different but some lists show 1985 and 1986 are the same and some state they are different. Does anybody know if the 1986 Buick Electra/Olds 98 mirror is the same as that used for a 1985?

The main functional difference would be the contours of the sheet metal the mirror actually mounts to on the lh door, or any plastic wedge/adapter which might go between the metal and the mirror.

A "salvage yard" Hollander Interchange Manual would most probably "nail down" what any interchanges from other GM cars/years might be. 

Trying to do it with GM part numbers can be problematic, between model years, as if GM changed vendors on the same part (mirror in this case), that new vendor resulted in a part number change, when both parts would physically fit the same application.  An old MOTOR or Chilton's Collision Parts book, as would the '87-printing of the GM/Buick parts book, detail if the door skins or door shells were the same between the noted model years, too.  Using a model year or two later GM/Buick parts book would also have any part number changes for the same-application part, too.

For the reasons I mentioned above (sheet metal contours), I somewhat doubt the Olds 98 part might fit, unless both cars used the same door shell (which might also mean that both cars had the same basic side contours, which I somewhat doubt).

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

I damaged the right hand mirror on my '86 Park Ave. I would agree that stupidly is the only way one can break them.

112611v.jpg.797dd28aaf32e7ff606e84d4d2a6894b.jpg

Park Avenue is the keyword. If you search Electra you will get station wagon mirrors and they use a B body with door skin mounted mirrors.

My housing is fine but I broke one of the snap retainers where the mirror glass mounts to the motor. It is the right mirror and mostly used when backing out of the garage (sometimes stupidly). I think the Olds 98 sedan will work but I have not gone after a replacement aggressively.

I have some pictures of an Olds 98 H body conversion but I can't locate the file, very similar if not the same.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Yes, the Buick Electra and Oldsmobile 98 share the same body under the skin and lots of parts interchange. Like your car the mirror fits onto the window frame rather than the door skin. My situation is the same as yours but in reverse as the LH mirror is my passenger side (RHD converted car) and I lightly clipped the gate when backing out of my driveway. The mirror still operates but my plastic weld repairs did not last very long. I am hoping that someone has a copy of the Hollander/Chiltons interchange books for this era as mentioned by NTX5467. I have sourced a used 85 mirror and a NOS 86 mirror. My preference is for the NOS but not if it doesn't fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have this information? I am still hoping someone is able to check a parts interchange book (or knows the answer themselves) so that I can replace this mirror. Later model Buick's are rare over here so I have no-one local to ask.