Gravel guard installation on '40 Super

CarDrake

I have a brand new set of gravel guards which I haven't attempted to install yet. I googled this and came up with, generally, some not so happy campers regarding the fit on the rear fenders.

Considering the eye watering cost (north of $500) for a set, I would thing they would fit like a glove (thank God they came with the car!)

So my question is : do they, and is there any good technique for putting them on?

Two types have been available. Originals are vulcanised/fused to metal backers which fit the curve of the fender.  Metal tabs punched into an oval shape were pushed thru slotted holes in fender. 'Ears' of metal tabs were meant to be twisted after placed thru slots in fender to retain gravel deflectors. Replacements were available in rubber to be glued to original metal backers after original rubber was removed or directly to fenders if preferred or backers we're no longer available. I have heard this complaint before about poor fit. Someone else has to tell solution as I only have them assembled to backers with proper curve.