1962 Skylark Convertible window-door handle interference

Ohjai

The drivers door window is hanging up on the door mechanism.  When I try to raise the window it a portion of the mechanism is grabbing the door release horizontal rod that runs from the interior handle to the door latch.  About a third of the way back from the front edge of the door, there is a piece of the raise/lower mechanism hooking on the rod.  

I was unable to completely remove the door card, because the interior door release handle has a rivet in place to the screw.  I am afraid to drill out the river not knowing what I will encounter when I do.

Also the door release mechanism only has about a third of the movement that is on the passenger side door. I am thinking I have two problems in the same door.

Does anyone have any suggestions to assist me in getting this fixed? 

Thanks

Jim

Thanks John.  Once I drill out the rivet, do I just put in another rivet?  Or, is there a kit like a helicoil that I can use to allow me to use a screw?

Jim 

John here is a picture of the handle from the manual.  I will go to the car the next day or so and get some better pictures of what is happening with the mechanism.

Jim

image.png.9d97bda4d38b2faa69985a3b313aaba9.png

Thanks @Ohjai. Actually this reminded me that I have seen these style handles numerous times and just forgot.  Given the shop manual depiction, its a wonder a rivit worked. Hope they didn't glue the handle in place like on my friends '67 Skylark. What a boondogle getting those off. 

• Like 2