HELP! Save a Canadian Model A 'AR' Roadster Barn Find

Scott Bonesteel

OK, need some help from our Canadian brethren on this.  Couple of knucklehead, 'Wayne's World' types have snagged a fantastic barn find, a 27-early 28 Model A Ford 'AR' out of a shed that is absolutely original and in great shape.  Right down to the Powerhouse generator, red steering wheel and left side parking brake.  Despite numerous comments trying to help them identify and talk them out of butchering this one, they seem bent on screwing it up--which is not only destroying the car but also the potential cash value it would have to them if they put it on the market.  Maybe somebody in their neighborhood can talk them out of the car.  See attached YouTube video and note there is a second one that was just posted a week or so ago.  I am all for everyone being able to do what they want with their own car and have built a couple of mild 'resto-rods myself, but this is too rare and somebody needs to save this A. If link doesn't work, look up 'Muddy Rascals'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aFFT1lCxlw     

A lot of people are on the intelligence level of cockroaches. Everything within their reach is theirs for the consumption of. They have NO understanding of value, art, history, future, past, right, wrong. They simply consume and entertain themselves.

There are billions of people in this world, that if you handed them the Mona Lisa, They would burn it for kindling even if they were surrounded by firewood and good kindling. 

Some years back, I took a bunch of scrap to a recycler.  There, I saw some valuable antique automobile parts, late 1920s Classic stuff. I asked what he would sell it for. His answer, a thousand dollars. I didn't have much money to spare, but offered him $200, for scrap he wouldn't get even $50 for. He said it was HIS, and if I wasn't willing to pay the full thousand dollars, he would have it melted down! The stuff wasn't that valuable. I would have been lucky to recover my $200.

I never took any other scrap there again.

Unfortunately, I have met a bunch of scrappers with that kind of attitude. They couldn't care less what they melt down. 

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

A lot of people are on the intelligence level of cockroaches. Everything within their reach is theirs for the consumption of. They have NO understanding of value, art, history, future, past, right, wrong. They simply consume and entertain themselves.

There are billions of people in this world, that if you handed them the Mona Lisa, They would burn it for kindling even if they were surrounded firewood and good kindling. 

Some years back, I took a bunch of scrap to a recycler.  There, I saw some valuable antique automobile parts, late 1920s Classic stuff. I asked what he would sell it for. His answer, a thousand dollars. I didn't have much money to spare, but offered him $200, for scrap he wouldn't get even $50 for. He said it was HIS, and if I wasn't willing to pay the full thousand dollars, he would have it melted down! The stuff wasn't that valuable. I would have been lucky to recover my $200.

Unfortunately, I have met a bunch of scrappers with that kind of attitude. They couldn't care less what they melt down. 

And some people like to destroy things to get a reaction out of other people. They get a kick out of it for some reason.

The left hand emergency brake was discontinued in June of 1928, so it is a very early car. Please if you have any contact with these bozo's try to convince them to do the right thing and save it. If there is any way to get an engine number, we can get real close to a build date.

42 minutes ago, AL1630 said:

And some people like to destroy things to get a reaction out of other people. They get a kick out of it for some reason.

It is a 'power trip' thing. Intelligent people understand that 'power' is an illusion. Beyond a very limited scope, control is an illusion. Any bug can get squashed at any moment. One controls what he can. Intelligent people also control what they can to advantage not only himself, but those around him that can and may have serious influence upon said oneself. Hurting others for kicks and giggles hurts everyone, including oneself. What can possibly be 'smart' about doing that?

Unfortunately for me, a lot of my family is like that.

49 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

The left hand emergency brake was discontinued in June of 1928, so it is a very early car. Please if you have any contact with these bozo's try to convince them to do the right thing and save it. If there is any way to get an engine number, we can get real close to a build date.

Somewhere buried in the comments they did post the engine number. There is a response from a MAFC guy who says that gives an April 1928 build date.

Ok folks, time to ante up.

These guys look young and may not realize what they have,  in fact I don't even know the true value of their discovery.

So let age and wisdom educate youth and niavity.   Make them an offer they can't refuse before they take value away from it.    Contacting them may not be too hard, try getting a hold of them through their YouTube account.   And instead of running them down try endearing yourself to them with praise, tact and diplomacy and of course enough money to make them want to sell it.

Good luck, if they are indeed from Saskatchewan, as am I,  I would be happy to try and convince them to sell it to any serious buyer.  Sask is a huge province,  I don't recognize them as my neighbors,  ....lol!

• Like 1

It would be a shame to see this become a hot rod, on the other hand, I have seen better cars than a model A (sorry model a guys) in the 4 sale that result in most of the posts saying its a parts car at best!  May be rare if you say so, but still needs in most likelihood about 3 times its value to restore.

I rather see this rough piece(that no one in the modern day AACA would see worthy to invest one single penny in)go the way of a poorly done rod. It may save one decent older restored Model A ,bought cheap ,and stripped down bits and so called , old skool rodded..

an insult to the time and energy of previous restorer.

This happens every day...

You have to live with it.

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Flivverking said:

I rather see this rough piece(that no one in the modern day AACA would see worthy to invest one single penny in)go the way of a poorly done rod. It may save one decent older restored Model A ,bought cheap ,and stripped down bits and so called , old skool rodded..

And just to add to your point I just stumbled across this, selling the driveline out of this car

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/st-catharines/1936-plymouth-coupe/1588981195

s-l640.jpg

Hard to watch part 2 which was also uploaded to YT. I hope someone with the cash and the means will intervene.  This car needs a good new owner. Quickly!

It is an interesting time we live in. Car culture is rapidly changing. I sometimes wonder: Will we even be able to get gasoline for our old cars in another 20 years? If it gets that bad, I suppose maybe there will be options to convert to electric. 

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

OK, now we need to invade Ontario too.

Who is going to invade us? People in this country are doing that kind of butchery every day!

About thirty years ago, I visited at a major millionaire's home. Prominently displayed in his living room was a copy of Cassius M Coolidge's "Dogs Playing Poker" (actually considered a classical work of art!), his was done in VELVET!

Just because someone has the means (money and time), doesn't mean they have good taste.

Even I will offer that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." And if 'velvet' is your thing, go for it. However, velvet as a medium does not possess the subtlety to convey the nuances and details of fine art.

I have known since I was in grade school that gasoline as we knew it, as a main power source had a finite limit. However, its imminent depletion has been predicted for well over a hundred years now! A serious scientific paper published in 1912 predicted total depletion of oil reserves before 1920! Obvious to say those 'scientists' were wrong. Real scientists estimate that even at the rate of consumption thirty years ago, it will provide power for more than another hundred years! Today we do have the means to extend that limit somewhat. With real research it should be possible within a few decades to become able to synthesize decent gasoline in huge quantities. The rush to all-electric cars is not about saving the planet. It is about political power.

Eventually, for many reasons, our antique automobiles will fall out of favor for being driven more than very rarely. But there is no need to rush into that, and other than surrendering our rights and freedoms to political opportunists, no reason for that to happen in most of our predictable lifetimes.

Some of that is my opinion. Most of it agreed with by many engineers I have known or had opportunities to discuss these things at length with. I miss those old days. I enjoyed debating theory and philosophy with other engineers. And I mean real engineers. Not what marketing passes of as engineering these days.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Flivverking said:

Ture, It is time and money well spent to buy the best vehicle to start with, also adds to the supply of good original running gear. Bob 

They don't seem to know much about the car. It would be nice if there was a member living near them that could help them understand what they have. 

:huh:

On 10/9/2021 at 2:08 PM, wayne sheldon said:

I had this happen once with a bunch of vintage brass gasoline pump handles. The lady wanted a full retail on each and everyone and said she’d scrap them if we wouldn’t pay her price. I am still puzzled by that mindset, needless to say I passed. 

What I see in the video is just total lack of knowledge. I’m sure that almost anyone on this forum would have put oil in the cylinders and done general clean up and prep along with chasing wires and replacing some to hopefully make it possible to run. Instead they play it the car and put different wheels on it that would make it harder to push around while working on it. They remind me of many who naively buy a car and in a matter of weeks have torn everything thing apart and accomplished nothing.

Edited by Tate (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Tate said:

They remind me of many who naively buy a car and in a matter of weeks have torn everything thing apart and accomplished nothing.

My thoughts as well.

Probably see it further disassembled and on Facebook for 20K when they lose interest.

Or maybe up on the rack with those Hondas. That would be better.

In the first video I had to sympathize with the widow that we never saw.

These guys were kind of ransacking her late husbands stash with little regard.

There looked to be a few abandoned vehicles around there.

I didn't see this as doing her any favors.

Did they think that they were helping clean up the place?

I agree that someone near them that know these cars could educate these guys. It would be a benefit to the hobby.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

"Today we're at this abandoned yard. We've been buying some machinery and cleaning up some stuff for this lady, a very nice lady. We happened to peek in a shed over here, there's an old car in here, asked her about it, and she's like "Yeah, go for it.""

So she just gave it to them because they were cleaning up some stuff.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Just because someone has the means (money and time), doesn't mean they have good taste.

Even I will offer that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." And if 'velvet' is your thing, go for it. However, velvet as a medium does not possess the subtlety to convey the nuances and details of fine art.

I totally agree with you Wayne.

It's pretty difficult to make a quality painting with such poor subject matter as the Poker Dogs.  That particular work seems to garner disparaging remarks from everyone who's ever seen it and rightfully so.

Now, if you take an iconic subject like, say Elvis, for instance, even the harshest art critic can clearly see where the medium of velvet transforms into a thing of beauty. I saw this and it spoke to me, I couldn't pass it up.

If anyone else here would like one of these, local artist Paco offers them at the Sunday swap meet here in town for the unbelievable low price of $39.95 frame included.

If you're an Elvis fan PM me for details. 

(I'm 99% sure this is a portrait of the King because Paco said it was) :lol:

348410279_images(11).jpeg.b774171778286ec4c58b59b04c14c0cb.jpeg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

GregLaR, I have over the years seen a few 'Elvis' pictures done in velvet! Actually, most of them were very good. Not really my 'thing', but quite nice in their own way. I think there is something to the 'marriage of subject and medium' that makes those really work.

Truth is, I am a fan of Elvis, and enjoy several of his movies as well as numerous songs he had done. Elvis was an incredible entertainer! He could actually act quite well, although I think producers and directors usually shackled him with their personal visions of 'pop'. Few people ever could dominate the stage and hold huge audiences as well as Elvis or Al Jolson!

About twenty-five years ago, my wife was sent to Tennessee to attend a computer systems seminar for the school district in which she was the attendance accountant, responsible for qualifying the district for additional federal funding among other things. We flew back two days early, and spent one day driving to and visiting Graceland! (All at our expense!) (Interesting to note that the other extra day we drove to a small town named after one of her ancestors!) While she attended her seminar, our son and I visited several historic sites, including pop culture sites, and the Country Music Hall of Fame!

Music is not all about the 'great master works' and/or opera. And art is not all about the classical masters either. Although I do tend to enjoy the great classics in both more than I do more modern pop.

Wayne, I am also a fan of Elvis' work and we're in lock step with our views on his movies and unused potential there.

That being said, I'm sure you're aware my post with the velvet painting was completely tongue in cheek.  

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Tate said:

I should give them the benefit of the doubt but I sure wonder if it will ever be in one piece again 

Chances are it will be sold once apart. So many people can turn a ratchet left, then drink a few beers, yap about their prowness only to sell the "Resto" project in a year or 2 instead of clicking it to "right" and putting the parts back on before trying to sell.

On 10/9/2021 at 1:08 PM, wayne sheldon said:

One of my uncles had called some scrap guys to haul away a bunch of scrap metal from his property.

He let them do their thing, removing the large pile of scrap metal, when he saw them walk over to a rear end that was about 40 feet away from the pile.

They picked it up and were going to toss it in their truck along with all the other junk.

He told them the rear end was not part of the scrap even though it had some surface rust on it.

The rear end was from a '25 Rickenbacker, complete with the Hat-In-The-Ring differential cover.

• Like 3