Lasko radiator cap?

Dave Bix

This one might have been a gasoline cap? Or maybe modified for such use. What is the 'plastic' looking thing put into the side?

Looks like it was very pretty at one time. But the pot metal has done its thing and as Keiser31 says, it is strictly a shelf display piece now.

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

This one might have been a gasoline cap? Or maybe modified for such use. What is the 'plastic' looking thing put into the side?

Looks like it was very pretty at one time. But the pot metal has done its thing and as Keiser31 says, it is strictly a shelf display piece now.

The plastic? piece is to lock the cap in place on the neck I think. Doesn't look factory.

Very little value to this piece. I have a Flexible bus piece from the factory that designates every year just sitting on the shelf.

Once again I expect it is an aftermarket accessory and not specific to any particular car. I think it could still be used to make a mold for a brass casting , but who would go to all that trouble to re- produce a generic accessory ? 

I suspect the original intention was for it to be a radiator cap. The hole added could have been an attempt at venting for a gasoline tank, however where it is located wouldn't actually help much in that regard. But some people would not understand that detail. 

The circa 1930 style "two tab" twist latch could work for either radiator or gasoline tanks on many cars of those years. I have been known to drive off with my gasoline cap sitting on my spare tire a couple of times myself. I found original "Neva-Lost" gasoline caps for a few of the antique cars I have had because of that. I even have a rare pin version that fits my Paige 6-45 if I ever get it put into running shape!

The round center in this pot metal cap looks like it was to be knocked out for a Moto-meter, even though few cars new enough to use the 'two tab' twist caps needed a Moto-meter. That was a common trait for after-market radiator caps about 1930.