Christmas parades - keeping the engine cool at slow speeds

Buick35

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Christmas parades - keeping the engine cool at slow speeds

If an electric fan does not cool your engine you have a problem that will only be cured by a radiator/block back flush (unlikely), a new or re-cored radiator (likely cure), or possibly new radiator and block flush both...........Bob

• Like 1

Sorry, but if your car is overheating during a parade, I'd say you have a cooling system issue. I live in Southern California and my son and I have done several parades with our 1925 vehicles (my car has no water pump, it's convection; my son's has a water pump). Temps at some parade times were in the mid 80's to low 90's and we have not had a cooling issue. Having said that, our parade routes are only 2-3 miles long so maybe not enough time to overheat. Though, at 5 mph, I would think they would if the cooling system was not working correctly. I agree that a cooling system flush is probably in order. Best wishes in finding a solution.

No real need for a cooling fan if your cooling system is in good order.  If the temps are increasing during the parade, when you stop, put it in neutral and give it a little gas to increase the idle speed.  Also stay in low or second gear while driving.  That will increase the fan speed.