General Electrical Components Question

protrash63

I didnt do a search, so let me know if there is a thread. But, I'm curious who you use to get the Packard 56 terminals? I'm trying to disconnect the engine harness and some are crumbling like a stale pack of crackers.

Second question....haven'y gotten my body guide yet. Does the fuse block fit in the square hole in the lower left dash?  Mine is hanging and this looks like the logical spot.  

Thanks!

Yes, the fuse block sits right on top of the removeable square cover to the left of the

steering column. Please tell us what a Packard 56 terminal is.......I've been in car repair and resto biz for

46 years and I've never heard of that term before.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, protrash63 said:

I didnt do a search, so let me know if there is a thread. But, I'm curious who you use to get the Packard 56 terminals? I'm trying to disconnect the engine harness and some are crumbling like a stale pack of crackers.

Second question....haven'y gotten my body guide yet. Does the fuse block fit in the square hole in the lower left dash?  Mine is hanging and this looks like the logical spot.  

Thanks!

The Packard type 56 series terminals or aftermarket equivalents are widely available from many, many sources...just do a search on Ebay and you`ll get more sources than you care to disseminate. You`ll also need a proper crimping tool to reproduce the factory type crimps.

I dont know if they are still available but Packard offered kits which incuded a variety of terminals, housings and a very simple but effective crimping tool. If you plan on doing alot of wiring and repairs, a kit may prove to be cost effective.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Yes, the fuse block sits right on top of the removeable square cover to the left of the

steering column. Please tell us what a Packard 56 terminal is.......I've been in car repair and resto biz for

46 years and I've never heard of that term before.

Seafoam, the Packard co....yes car co....had an electrical division bought by GM and they produced all the electrical connectors from the 50's to the 80's when they switched to weather packs...there abouts.

You are extremely familiar with these connectors if you've been doing it this long.

Thanks for the fuseblock info.

packard conn.jpg

Edited by protrash63 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

Interesting..........yes I've worked with these for decades, but had never heard the term Packard 56 before.

Also seen them as Delphi Packard 56 series.  My Readers digest history mite be slightly off but thats roughly the story!

I got mine from ebay. 

Over time, i've found out knowing the right terminology for something is the key to actually being able to find it online. Spent more time trying to find the names of specific terminals than actually installing them.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 9:43 PM, protrash63 said:

who you use to get the Packard 56 terminals?

#1 - Industrial Supply or Agriculture Supply. Search for TA Terminals.

They have always been referred to as Packard Series 56 connectors from GM's Packard Electric now Delphi. 1 (800) PACKARD 

I modified crimper jaws to do Male connectors. Female connectors do not need the mod.

#2 - The Fuse Block for '63 slides & locks into a bracket next to the E-Brake.

image.png.2c46ec368d659b334f8e1d491ee5f013.png

image.png.f169f7ac079392aaa402867f54ea6196.png

image.png.e3bdd6191110e78eed7f0a74564fcc80.png

Connector_Series56_Crimper.JPG

• Like 2