Restoring a padded long grain roof

StylishOne

This maybe a dumb question.. and Yes I know someone has to see it,  but I’m not looking for an exact dollar figure.. more a range of cost and suggestions of who is capable here in the Southern US of doing such a job.. while I’ve owned a ton of cars most were 49-79..I’ve never worked on, or owned, a car from the ‘30’s! .. So I have no idea the costs to redo this baggy/saggy rear roof area. The glass likely is delaminated so it should likely be replaced at the same time..The interior is decent I see no roof leaks . 

Words to the wise? 

D9486E77-D8F6-4D52-94E2-CB590AE3448B.png

1E992388-F493-4D56-B694-9739E392EC54.png

83622B34-3613-4C50-85BF-71FFD61CE8C2.png

You will need a good auto upholsterer who does vinyl tops. My guess is the whole thing needs to be replaced, it will not be cheap. It appears the padding has failed or decayed allowing the covering to sag, none of it can be reused.

With the old top peeled off you will probably find the steel underneath is badly rusted, and needs to be sanded smooth and painted with rust proof paint and might need holes welded up as well. Then a new padded top can be installed. A new top should last at least 20 years, maybe 50 or more if the car is stored indoors.

• Like 2

I know of a craftsman in NC who could do the top work. If you can get him to take it.  Not sure he would be interested in the window replacement aspect.  With him, you are probably looking at several thousand in labor plus whatever for the material you choose. Leather could be another couple of thousand.  PM me for contact details for the shop if interested.

-Andrew