SOLD 1924 Studebaker 6cyl. pistons NOS

oldsteel

• 3 months later...

I would say standard bore. My picture shows a 3 1/8th dia. If you go 10,20,30 over that would be made up with the rings. Please check your Old Pistons dia. I’m not an engine builder but the rings take up the over bore. Yes I have them 100.00 +shipping 

Thanks Tom 

The pistons have to be the correct size for the bore. Today a .030 overbore gets a .030 over piston.

The piston box in the original post says "semi" on the label. These might(?) be semi-finished pistons, in other words not ground to final size. A micrometer would tell the story. In the old days, sometimes the pistons were final ground to size after the bore size was known.

Pistons need to have a specific amount of clearance, usually only about .0015 -.003 depending on application, regardless of bore size. Rings are not meant to take up the difference. The pistons are marked SEMI so they should be oversized and then machined to the proper size. They would need to be measured with some calipers or micrometer for an accurate size.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, oldsteel said:

JackM explain ( ??  ) if you know something Please be of help

I’ve had motorcycles and 4 wheelers rebored and used 10,20 over rings.

What  Skippy and bloo said, there is more to over bore than just rings on standard pistons.

• oldsteel changed the title to SOLD 1924 Studebaker 6cyl. pistons NOS