1979 Trans Am, 69k miles, Gardner MA

Says $26k in the bottom of the ad. That poor car is a mess. Def not stored properly. Glove box hinge is even rusted bad, and the trunk.....  Cant imagine what the underside looks like. No int. pics, not properly stored those interiors did not weather well. My guess it all needs replaced. Not cheap, ask how I know!!  Personally I would love to see him get asking price, but that thing needs a total restoration to make it right. Patina on a car like that just doesnt work. Maybe $15k.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Says $26k in the bottom of the ad.

Must have been edited. Original instructions were to call and discuss. At least they added a number, even if it is out of whack.

I thought the same about the glove box hinge. That doesn’t match the claims about climate controlled storage?

It looks like it needs a bit of work doesn't it.

Westminster is where I bought my 69 Shelby back in 1989.  Told this story before,  but I would sit at the convenience store on Tuesday mornings waiting for the Want Advertiser to show up.   I was the third guy to call that morning and the first two guys passed on it.    A GT500 that looked OK for 10,500 so I bought it.   Drove it the 35 miles home and never drove it again.  Maybe a few feet up and down the driveway.   Took 20 years to finish it.   Such is my life in the hobby.

Always bugged me it wasn't a four speed.

IMG_4951.JPG

• Like 2

This car is def worth a full restoration, but the buy in price would have to be about $10k tops. I would be glad to get $15k if I were a seller.

The front bumper is not a problem and actually looks really good for these. There doesnt look like any sag which is typical. Honestly Im not sure if they are the same material that came out in the early 70's, Endura, but they are quite flexible. Successful repairs are not a problem, just takes a bit of time and technique. The lower grilles do turn brittle and turn to powder with age though. But for the right $ NOS find their way to the surface every now and then, and theres always repops.

The one I pictured is original from my car. They are pretty flexible. Only problem is they are prone to spider cracking as can be seen in the car 4 sale picture.  A flexible filler is needed to make repairs. I have done a couple now with somewhat long term use and they still look great. No special paint additive needed. I was told from my supplier that most modern paint has flex built into them to deal with all of the plastic on most new cars.   There are fibreglass repros made for both front and rear. I have not heard of anyone having luck with them though. They take a lot of work to make them look right. 

I forget now but there is a ridiculous amount of parts in the front clip. As pictured above if I recall there are over 200 individual pieces that make up the whole. This includes all of the screws, spring clips for headlight adjustment, screw purchases, bracing, lights, grilles, emblems, etc. etc.

Thanks, car is complete on the outside, one of these days I will get to the inside!

• Like 1