Rayfield carburetor

corleone

Either Needle & Seat,

or Float

Sounds like the float may be taking on fuel and not floating,

allowing too much fuel in the float bowl.

I may be perforated, or maybe just porous with age

take it apart right after running, and check to see if the float has any gas in it.

some can be repaired / soldered if you can find the leak area

Also, check to see that the pin on which the float rides, is stabile, and that the float moves freely-

Then check to see that the needle and seat close and seal properly and fully-

in any case, you're getting too much gas into the float bowl.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Hi Marty, thanks for the reply.  We did check the float and it is not leaking. We took the needle and seat out and cleaned it and it seals if we turn the carb over and blow in it.

the float moves freely and if the carb bowl is full of gas it appears to shut off the gas by pushing up on the needle weights. I agree with you, somehow I am getting too much gas past the needle and seat.  Frustrating as it was running perfectly. Maybe there is a crack in the seat of something.  I was just hoping someone had that same carb and could come up with a solution to my problem. Maybe someone else has had the same problem as I have.  Don

20 hours ago, carbking said:

If you are running a vacuum tank:

Check the vacuum supply valve to the vacuum tank. If it fails, and they do; fuel will BYPASS the carburetor and be drawn directly from the vacuum tank into the intake manifold. Makes for a very rich condition.

Jon.

Great reminder !

Thanks, Jon, I hadn't considered that possibility since I run only the electric fuel pump, and not depend on the vacuum pump.

wow!  that is a great suggestion. We have taken that carb apart multiple times,  maybe it is not the carburetor at all.  I could hook up an in line 6 volt pump and by pass the vacuum fuel system and see what that does. Thank you very much.  I will let you know what happens.  

3 minutes ago, corleone said:

wow!  that is a great suggestion. We have taken that carb apart multiple times,  maybe it is not the carburetor at all.  I could hook up an in line 6 volt pump and by pass the vacuum fuel system and see what that does. Thank you very much.  I will let you know what happens.  

But please be sure to use a QUALITY fuel pressure regulator to dial down the outlet pressure to about 1 psi.  I have a Rayfield Model G on my 1922 Paige 6-66 which works well on the vacuum tank.