Interesting 30's Cadillac in Victoria, B.C.

Eldovert

The story I am getting on this car is that it was a gift from the owners grandfather. The owner had just graduated from medical school so the GF ordered the car from Lendrum and Hartman, the Cadillac/LaSalle and Buick dealer in London and had it shipped to Vanden Plas. The car was used in England until the owner, Ivan Tchaperoff came to Victoria to be the Radiologist at St. Josephs Hospital in 1937. The grandfather included a chauffeur with the car.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Most interesting indeed, thanks for the follow up with the history of the car, who , what, where , when.

There could be a very interesting story written about the presence of American made cars in Europe and the British Isles regarding import tariff, location of dealers and the service for same, Why a European would want an American made car considering the parts availability etc.  A friend owns a 1930 Lincoln in London with RHD but US factory coachwork. Another had a 1931 Chrylser Imperial CG with RHD and a Pierce Arrow as well. Special sales catalogs were printed by Lincoln, Buick, Chrysler , Franklin, Packard  and given out to European customers. I have many varieties of these. Plus the coach builders of Europe in their sales catalogs showed or mentioned chassis of American manufacture with their bodies on them. Van Den Plas especially ( there were 3 firms named Van Den Plas all in different countries) . I can pin point at what auto salons in Europe the coach builder, or dealer had what on display and available for purchase.  Would take some time and effort to get this down correctly but also find a club magazine that would be interested , AACA doesn't have the space.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Walt G said:

Most interesting indeed, thanks for the follow up with the history of the car, who , what, where , when.

There could be a very interesting story written about the presence of American made cars in Europe and the British Isles regarding import tariff, location of dealers and the service for same, Why a European would want an American made car considering the parts availability etc.  A friend owns a 1930 Lincoln in London with RHD but US factory coachwork. Another had a 1931 Chrylser Imperial CG with RHD and a Pierce Arrow as well. Special sales catalogs were printed by Lincoln, Buick, Chrysler , Franklin, Packard  and given out to European customers. I have many varieties of these. Plus the coach builders of Europe in their sales catalogs showed or mentioned chassis of American manufacture with their bodies on them. Van Den Plas especially ( there were 3 firms named Van Den Plas all in different countries) . I can pin point at what auto salons in Europe the coach builder, or dealer had what on display and available for purchase.  Would take some time and effort to get this down correctly but also find a club magazine that would be interested , AACA doesn't have the space.

Check out the August, 2021 issue of Classic American magazine for an interesting article about a 1929 Lincoln Model L that was sold new in England.  Very interesting read!

Craig

I have always been fascinated by American automobiles sold all around the world. Bread and butter cars sold for utility purposes of course make a great deal of sense for parts of the world that did not manufacture enough automobiles to provide for their needs. Hence, all the Studebakers and Grahams, even the Gray which sold better in Australia than it did in the USA, all around the world.

However, the really high end automobiles, against all the high import costs and restrictive duties around the world, even before competing against the 'home team' Rolls, Mercedes, or Hispano? That is a bit more difficult to wrap one's head around.

Then again? Maybe it is as simple as we here like that Rolls, or Mercedes, and that Hispano really gets my blood going! Something different,  exotic because the neighbor doesn't have one? Maybe?

People are funny things.

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have always been fascinated by American automobiles sold all around the world. Bread and butter cars sold for utility purposes of course make a great deal of sense for parts of the world that did not manufacture enough automobiles to provide for their needs. Hence, all the Studebakers and Grahams, even the Gray which sold better in Australia than it did in the USA, all around the world.

However, the really high end automobiles, against all the high import costs and restrictive duties around the world, even before competing against the 'home team' Rolls, Mercedes, or Hispano? That is a bit more difficult to wrap one's head around.

Then again? Maybe it is as simple as we here like that Rolls, or Mercedes, and that Hispano really gets my blood going! Something different,  exotic because the neighbor doesn't have one? Maybe?

People are funny things.

What is even more interesting are the modifications that had to be done to them as required by local laws in that particular country.  For example, the '29 Lincoln featured in Classic American had semaphore trafficators fitted to comply with British laws at the time.   I have Studeabker parts books from the 1930's which list 'export' headlight lenses for various markets outside North America.

Craig

• Like 2