1934 Buick Rear-End fluid?

Frank Wilkie

It should have hypoid oil in it. The rest of the tube is lubricated with grease fittings. If the rear end oil hasn’t been serviced in years......which is most likely the case, a drain, flush, and fill would be worth while. Also check the wheel bearings and brakes. It’s all a dirty job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frank Wilkie said:

I just checked my 34 rear-end for grease. Opened the inspection plug and it ran out. If I recall this may be over filling from the transmission running down the torque tube.. Am I correct in this?  If so what seal is needed?

The transmission to rear-end via torque tube problem is with Dynaflow cars  I believe.

Ben

• Like 1

I think you corrrect..  It's just I had read about that problem several years back.  When I ran into my discovery of the rear end being over full I had remembered about this type of problem being discussed years ago..  Didn't know if it applied to a standard transmission or not..  I know the Buick manual says to use 90 wt. in winter and 160 in summer.. What poured out looked awful light, like about heavy duty oil..