HELP! 79 spitfire 1500 rack and pinion driving me crazy

First of all parts identification......

1. The threaded (male) rods at both ends of the rack and pinion. Tie rods. Correct??? 

2. The parts (with ball joints) that thread (female) onto the male tie rods. Tie rod ends. Correct???

Do the TIE RODS thread in and out of the rack for adjustment purposes  and/or is the adjustment made by turning the TIE ROD ENDs on the TIE RODs? 

BTW I have 2 factory manuals (1 Bentley) and the Haynes manual. I do not see that the TIE RODS can be adjusted into or out of the rack for adjustment purposes. I am told they can. Am I going crazy??  

Thanks.   John

37 minutes ago, johnworden1 said:

1. The threaded (male) rods at both ends of the rack and pinion. Tie rods. Correct???

In USA-speak, yes. I'm less sure what a UK manual might say.

2. The parts (with ball joints) that thread (female) onto the male tie rods. Tie rod ends. Correct???

We NEED PICTURES! :D

That said, if it is like most rack and pinions sets, the outer ball thingie that attaches to the spindle and screws on to the rod hanging out of the rack is an outer tie rod end.  it screws onto a tie rod, but on many racks the inner tie rod end, which lives underneath the boot, may be replaceable but not able to be disassembled to rebuild or adjust for wear. In that case, they would probably call the whole mess, including the tie rod, an inner tie rod end since the tie rod is part of the inner tie rod end assembly

Do the TIE RODS thread in and out of the rack for adjustment purposes  and/or is the adjustment made by turning the TIE ROD ENDs on the TIE RODs? 

Generally length adjustment for alignment purposes is done at the outer tie rod end threads, and then locked down with a jam nut. Again, pictures might help a lot.

I have never seen alignment (length) adjustments at the inner tie rod end. I guess it's possible but I doubt it. The inner tie rod end may be adjustable for wear though on some rack designs.

Typically on most racks, with the jam nut at the outer tie rod end loose, you would turn the tie rod to make adjustments. You might find wrench flats on it. But, what you are actually doing is screwing it in and out of the outer tie rod end. When you have it where you want it, you lock the jam nut down.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

5 hours ago, johnworden1 said:

is toe in/out adjustment achieved by turning Part # GSJ158

Yes.

But, you shouldn't have to knock GSJ158's taper loose from the spindle to adjust it. You can unclamp the outer end of the rack boot and just rotate the shaft of 120981 instead. Either way you are screwing the threads in/out of GSJ158 to make the adjustment. It makes no difference how you accomplish that.

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

Yes.

But, you shouldn't have to knock GSJ158's taper loose from the spindle to adjust it. You can unclamp the outer end of the rack boot and just rotate the shaft of 120981 instead. Either way you are screwing the threads in/out of GSJ158 to make the adjustment. It makes no difference how you accomplish that.

BINGO!!!!   Now I get it.   Thank all of you for the help.   Tomorrow we will correct an improper alignment job. 

John

• Like 1