1913 Moyer touring, Martinez, CA

I am almost positive I saw this car about fifty years ago when I was first getting involved with some Horseless Carriage crowd! A very rare car, owner lived just outside Hayward at that time. It was a beautiful car then, and looks like it has been well cared for since. A mutual friend wanted me to see it at the time because it was one you wouldn't likely ever see another.

Wish I could be in the market for it.

"no hills too steep, no sand too deep, all roads are level for a Moyer!" -folks were just talking about these cars over on another thread recently. Seems like lately they're coming out of the wood work.  Speaking of that the body on this car is really cool. Moyer was a premium carriage maker I guess doing something like that would be old hat for them. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Huston said:

Gee,  I wonder what something like this cost these days.  No price leaves me to ponder what is cheaper a V12 Pierce or a Moyer?   

I wonder in particular how they compare to a Cunningham only because they were both luxury carriage makers operating so close geographically to one another. can't image they could build anything that would have rivaled Cunningham levels of quality but it would be interesting to compare the two. I wonder why their business model failed shortly after switching over to autos where as Cunningham held on a little while longer. I would assume because the later continued to supply their niche market for the funeral trade. 

The massive 525 cu. in. T head motor fills the space under the long hood and looks as though it is capable of propelling a ten ton truck.

Cast iron cylinders, cast in pairs, are bolted to the sturdy aluminum crankcase and the 2½ inch diameter valves are accessible through large removable plugs screwed in the top of the castings.  Slip joints are provided in the exhaust manifold to allow for expansion due to heating.  A gear driven oil pump supplies eight pounds pressure to the hollow, drop forged steel crankshaft for rods and mains.  Small tubes fastened to the outside of the rods feed oil to the wrist pins.

All moving parts were balanced to one hundredth part of an ounce to improve reliability, increase power and reduce vibration.

The Carter carburetor is water-heated for improved vaporation although the water can be shut off if desired.

Ignition is provided by a German Mea high tension magneto.  The Mea magneto is trunion-mounted which permits ignition to be retarded for starting without changing the internal timing of the magneto.  Since the E gap does not change, the spark is as strong at retard as it is at full advance for any given speed.

A leather faced cone clutch which has 16 springs for smooth engagement transmits power to the rugged, separately mounted Brown and Lipe three speed transmission via a short shaft having two universal joints.

An open drive shaft with two Spicer universal joints carries torque from the transmission to the rear axle.

In lieu of a flywheel is a 24 volt electric starter having the same weight and diameter of a flywheel.  The starting motor serves as a generator when the engine is running.

http://www.carsandracingstuff.com/library/articles/18993.php

• Like 2

I will send the seller your phone number if you are seriously interested. i don't think the seller wants to be bothered by a bunch of looky loos. or if you are on facebook you can just look it up in martinez, california. i am figuring you do not use Facebook. if you want you can send me your number by private message and i will forward it to the seller. I can do that. i did not volunteer to relay a bunch of questipons back and forth, nor do I assume responsibility for getting all answers anyone wants. I will put you directly in touch if you like. that's it.