40 Ply sedan, affordable prewar example

I know ads without pics are less exciting but at $3,500 asking, for a together car vs. a rusted out hulk, someone looking to get into a prewar car could do so without breaking the bank.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/278829717185816/?ref=facebook_story_share

Maybe someone else will have better luck grabbing a pic or two, which I seem to be having an issue with on fb marketplace lately.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Jay.

Cub, I agree.  First car was a 41 Plymouth 2 door sedan, a bit scruffier than this one at age 14.  Brakes were the first thing we did, Andy Bernbaum wheel cylinder & master cylinder kits for peanuts, (he is still around 45 years later I think) lines, shoes right from local auto store.  Drums checked out and turned at local garage.  A full afternoon and the car stopped like new.  We did axle seals, etc. As well.  My point is it was a cheap, easy car to work on in '77, '78 and likely still is in relative terms.  Layer that on a pretty solid mechanical reputation and it's a great choice for a first prewar, especially for a young or budget minded new hobbyist.

• Like 2

Might be a good project for a Mopar enthusiast who likes 4-door sedans but it's hard to assess the condition of something with only 3 small exterior pics. How about some shots of the interior, trunk & engine compartment? Needs brake work (overhaul kits with shoes are $725 today!). How long has this been off the road? How old are the tires? Says no visible rust but what does that mean? I'm always skeptical about rust claims when there's a good chance an 80 year old car has spent its entire life here in the northern salt belt. 

• Like 1

Well it probably isn't a candidate for a long distance sight unseen buy or PB type restoration, but anyone in the area interested in a project might want to have a look.  Think of the days of responding to a classified ad in the local paper or even HMN.  

A $35,000 restored convertible should have 100 high res shots and a ton of detail for sure.  And national exposure.  But this is likely a project that won't get finished.  To seller's credit, they don't think it's a $35k car nor are they letting it return to the earth with intentions of restoring it someday.  

But you are right 55, it will take some time and effort, I can tell you in CT this car sits in grey area between total junkers and drivers everyone thinks are Full Classics.  Worth a look I think, for right buyer.

• Like 1

That 41 was a great 1st car I can imagine Steve. Not so far from me, if I went to see it I'm sure I would want it but lack of space is keeping my old car hobby limited to one example.

Since there are so many of these around and so many variants sharing common parts, it is probably easy find spares. Any car will need brake work at some point, and every other mechanical point will be subject to wear or leaks, that's part of the game. This car looks decent outside, maybe some bodywork is needed as the left front fender looks a little rusty. Will make a fun winter project for someone.